Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
So I used my new Samsung S7 Edge Samsung Pay for the 2nd time - first time was at a teriyaki joint, this time at an Asian grocery store and it went thru flawlessly. I absolutely LOVE this tech because not only is it accepted at places Apple Pay/android pay doesn't even work. I used my CHIP and PIN card and it would take 30-45 seconds (slow as molasses) but with Samsung Pay MST it goes thru faster than a real swipe because at that particular Asian grocery store those terminals always misreads my CC magnetic stripe and would error out a few times before it works.

Samsung Pay just rocks so hard now I carry 4 less CC with me and it's so awesome the hype is not just hype but real practical repeatable successful results when used!

Too bad they own a patent on this but man, however, the S7 Edge is such a perfect phone!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So I used my new Samsung S7 Edge Samsung Pay for the 2nd time - first time was at a teriyaki joint, this time at an Asian grocery store and it went thru flawlessly. I absolutely LOVE this tech because not only is it accepted at places Apple Pay/android pay doesn't even work. I used my CHIP and PIN card and it would take 30-45 seconds (slow as molasses) but with Samsung Pay MST it goes thru faster than a real swipe because at that particular Asian grocery store those terminals always misreads my CC magnetic stripe and would error out a few times before it works.

Samsung Pay just rocks so hard now I carry 4 less CC with me and it's so awesome the hype is not just hype but real practical repeatable successful results when used!

Too bad they own a patent on this but man, however, the S7 Edge is such a perfect phone!
Must be where you are as apple pay works flawlessly everywhere I have used it. Not even 2 secs and it's done. Sounds like an agenda thread.

If anything there should be no difference between the two.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Must be where you are as apple pay works flawlessly everywhere I have used it. Not even 2 secs and it's done. Sounds like an agenda thread.

Do you know what Samsung pay is? They differentiate by having MST technology. It basically generates a magnetic field that mimics the credit cards magnetic field so it can be used where nfc payment terminals are not accepted.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I used my CHIP and PIN card and it would take 30-45 seconds (slow as molasses) but with Samsung Pay MST it goes thru faster than a real swipe because at that particular Asian grocery store those terminals always misreads my CC magnetic stripe and would error out a few times before it works.

What does magnetic swype have to do with Chip and PIN? Maybe it's implemented differently in the US, but in Europe Chip and Pin is very efficient and doesn't involve the magnetic stripe.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder what others think: Because Chip and PIN is efficient (in the implementation I'm familiar with), in countries where its been the norm for years I think there's probably less buzz about all forms of mobile payment technology than there is in the US. Yes, mobile payments potentially enable you to carry less cards, but I think the majority of people only carry one debit card and one credit card anyway so not a huge burden.

Reactions: AleXXXa

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I agree. I can be at a regular magnetic swipe and use Samsung pay and it'll be approved instantly. When using my card, I would have to swipe first, then it'll ask me to insert my card into the chip reader slot, and takes longer to be approved. Using Samsung Pay, I'm also never asked to read the last 4 digits to the cashier and it auto signs.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Apple Pay plus 2 cc. I never have an issue paying for anything within 5 seconds so I don't get the point of this.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Samsung Pay is pretty neat and does have the advantage of being able to work on card readers that swipe which makes it more useable. I was considering switching carriers and getting the S7 Edge if I did, so I watched some video on Samsung Pay to see how it compares. It seems pretty solid, but only one of my banks are supported. I'm sure some people are in the reverse situation where more of their banks are supported by Samsung Pay. I hope Apple adds the ability to use Apple Pay where there isn't nfc on the iPhone 7.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do you know what Samsung pay is? They differentiate by having MST technology. It basically generates a magnetic field that mimics the credit cards magnetic field so it can be used where nfc payment terminals are not accepted.
I was talking about the speed and lack of hassle. It's really no different. Any place I have needed to use it there has been zero issues.

It's even less hassle when all my apple pay is done by my watch. Even more less hassle than using your phone. So techinally it's even quicker through this way.

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas

Apple Pay works flawlessly and is in no way "old school" as your post suggest. Works on the  watch just as well. Try it some time before you compare Samsung copycat tech to Apple. Just a suggestion.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I have to share my story again, where it happened exactly like the commercials:

I go to try Samsung pay with my s7 edge and the lady says, "this doesn't take Apple pay" and, without any tone, I say to her, "Oh, it's not Apple pay, it's Samsung pay" and at that instant it went through.

Pretty amazing how exact to the commercial it was.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Apple Pay works flawlessly and is in no way "old school" as your post suggest. Works on the  watch just as well. Try it some time before you compare Samsung copycat tech to Apple. Just a suggestion.

Yes, Apple Pay works great, but it doesn't work on card readers without nfc terminals whereas Samsung Pay does. That's the main downfall I've experienced with Apple Pay because tap to pay terminals aren't common where I'm at.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I was talking about the speed and lack of hassle. It's really no different. Any place I have needed to use it there has been zero issues.

It's even less hassle when all my apple pay is done by my watch. Even more less hassle than using your phone. So techinally it's even quicker through this way.

Lack of hassle? The point is you can leave your cards / wallet at home with no issues. If you do that with Apple pay then go to a store that does not support NFC payments, you will be leaving that store not being able to purchase anything. Isn't that a hassle?

Each and every time when you go to a new place you will have to ask "do you accept apple pay?" or you have to look for the nfc logo at the cashier. With samsung pay you don't have to ask or look for anything, just walk up to the cashier and pay.

Think of it like this, you're in the UK. Lets say you only have Japanese currency (YEN). You go to a store in UK and go to the cashier, cashier says "sorry sir we dont accept yen". How is that not a hassle?

Using same example, samsung pay you have pound stirling so it is accepted everywhere in the UK. When you go to Japan it is also accepted there.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Samsung Pay works great now because magnetic stripe cards work now. But magnetic stripes are the past. Chipped cards are the future. I think Samsung Pay is going to be short-lived, as it's based on a technology that's going away.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yea it works fine on both. Samsung pay has an edge for now, don't really see how that is debatable, unless you have nfc terminals everywhere you shop. the tech supports more, all there is to it.

Samsung devices can also use android pay if they ever wanted too, but no reason to?

Samsung pays advantage may be short lived, but that is pretty optimistic if you live in the US. Mom and pop stores may accept liability and keep mag stripes, never know.. (The EMV cards people have been getting in the US still have mag stripes too for this reason) Or certain stores may blackball the phone based payment systems like they are already too (which doesn't effect Samsung pay)

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Yeah, I use Apple Pay every day of the week and I'm yet to see it not work. I double tap the home button, hold next to terminal with my finger on the button and it pays in under 2 seconds. Not sure how that looks 'old skool' in comparison. Maybe it's an American thing as they appear to be about 15 years behind Europe in regards to chip and pin and contactless payments.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Yeah, I use Apple Pay every day of the week and I'm yet to see it not work. I double tap the home button, hold next to terminal with my finger on the button and it pays in under 2 seconds. Not sure how that looks 'old skool' in comparison. Maybe it's an American thing as they appear to be about 15 years behind Europe in regards to chip and pin and contactless payments.
Yeah in the US contactless payment is not common place. Most places I go don't accept contactless payment. So I rarely ever use it. (I have Android pay). If I had Samsung pay I surely would be utilizing it everyday.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
So what do you guys do when you come to a card reader that doesn't support nfc? My iPhone doesn't work in that situation but Samsung Pay will. Maybe everywhere you go has tap to pay but it's pretty limited where I'm at.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
When I had the S6 I was really using Samsung pay since it worked everywhere I shopped. Now with the 6S I don't even bother with Apple Pay since it won't work on a lot of places.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yeah in the US contactless payment is not common place. Most places I go don't accept contactless payment. So I rarely ever use it. (I have Android pay). If I had Samsung pay I surely would be utilizing it everyday.
Most of the major retailers and supermarkets here support contactless payments and the Apple Pay symbol is becoming commonplace here. I do think Samsung Pay is good too as it covers more outlets due to not needing nfc, but the whole phone payment thing is growing in the UK anyway. Nearly every bank has been issuing contactless debit/credit cards now for the past 4 years too so this makes things easier.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
... Mom and pop stores may accept liability and keep mag stripes, never know..
When the mom and pops are the only stores accepting mag stripes, the fraudsters will swarm to their stores.

Not exactly the sort of customer you want to attract, especially now that mom and pop will be losing their own money and not the bank's money.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Most of the major retailers and supermarkets here support contactless payments and the Apple Pay symbol is becoming commonplace here. I do think Samsung Pay is good too as it covers more outlets due to not needing nfc, but the whole phone payment thing is growing in the UK anyway. Nearly every bank has been issuing contactless debit/credit cards now for the past 4 years too so this makes things easier.
yeah US needs to get a move on. There are still many banks / credit card companies here that doesn't support either Samsung or Apple or Android pay.

Reactions: planetf1

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
When the mom and pops are the only stores accepting mag stripes, the fraudsters will swarm to their stores.

Not exactly the sort of customer you want to attract, especially now that mom and pop will be losing their own money and not the bank's money.

I have a feeling these will be stores that typically don't get much fraud and they are comfortable with the risk. Similar to how transactions under a certain dollar amount don't need id or signature, the processor is comfortable with the risk. And how chip and pin isn't really chip and pin in the US, but chip and signature. The processors must think that pin is so inconvenient that it will result in less sales through their payment system that they are okay with signatures, even though it defeats a great deal of the purpose of the switch to emv

Also let's not forget the stores that support EMV, but have disabled nfc!

Imo android pay and Apple pay have a looong way to go before they are ubiquitous and you can leave all cards behind in the usa

Last edited:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004

Agreed... Apple Pay works first time IME. I always use the Watch so it's a maximum 3-second effort.

First world problems indeed.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So what do you guys do when you come to a card reader that doesn't support nfc? My iPhone doesn't work in that situation but Samsung Pay will. Maybe everywhere you go has tap to pay but it's pretty limited where I'm at.
I take out a credit card, there are crowded places I'd rather keep my phone in my pocket anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.