Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I wanted to do a more comprehensive review and update as time goes on. I find the main s24/ultra thread is too mixed with devices and think that each s series phone deserves it's own thread. The plus and regular s24 should have dedicated threads.

After having the Ultra for a little while the thing that is impressive as much as the hardware is the software. Samsung made a lot of improvements in day to day function of OneUI. It has more Pixel like animations which I really like. OneUI 6.1 is the most polished release of OneUI to date and I really like it. I hope that Samsung continues to refine and improve their software. Obviously all of the s24 series have the sane software and all three benefit.

Curved displays have been the bane of my existence on Smartphones since the s6 or s5 introduced them. I hate them so much. Looking at a flat 6.8" squared rectangular screen with 2600 nits brightness and AR coating on the screen is something I have dreamed about since the Note 10(which I loved). It is just so immersive and with the equal reduced bezels it is just a pleasure to stare at. You wouldn't think a square or round corner would make such a difference.

Android phones have lacked a proper anti reflective coating for a long time and I always wondered why it never came to Android when Apple has been using AR coating for years with great success. A flat screen that Apple uses is just more practical than the curved displays.

So to have both a flat screen with an AR coating on the largest bar phone available is something I just can't understate.

All these people complaining about vivid, and the s23 ultra is better must have been so conditioned by Samsung cold and punchy screens that they can't see a natural looking screen without complaining. What Samsung has done is make true tone usable. They have created a much more natural and beautiful display than ever before. It also finally has a pwm of 495.

Using a low grade Titanium frame was the right call. It is closer to the cost of Aluminum while providing a better surface to grip. It looks better, and feels better. I was not convinced until I held the phone and was like I can't go back. Aluminum is fine and I prefer it if it is a choice between better internals or Ti. I will choose Aluminum every time. In this case the Ti feels warmer to the tough and the blasted finish make it grippy. In terms of feel and ergonomics it is an improvement. I didn't expect to like the Ti but I do.

Everything else about the phone. Performance. Speakers. Battery life. S pen. Fit and finish are all very very good to excellent. Best I have seen in a Ultra/Note with the Note 10 as a possible exception.

The cameras oh the cameras. In my testing against the s24 plus the s24 ultra takes better shots in certain circumstances and the main sensor has much more detail on the ultra compared to the plus. The Pixel 8 Pro is a little better but the Ultra is closer than last year against the 7 Pro.

Colors. I like them a lot better than last year. BUT on the Ultra can we have some saturated colors that aren't powder blue or light green but real blue and green. The orange was great and the Purple was good but I prefer the plus purple a lot more. So big improvement over last year but a little more color next year!! I do like the blue, purple, orange and green this year!

Odds and ends. Charging is a lit faster than last year.

Overall once we get the color banding issue resolved this will be phone of the year IMHO!

Attachments

• PXL_20240202_094313095.jpg
    PXL_20240202_094313095.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 272
  • PXL_20240202_094358715.jpg
    PXL_20240202_094358715.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20240202_094301017.jpg
    PXL_20240202_094301017.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 84
  • PXL_20240202_094355439.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240202_094355439.MP.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 84

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I love the blue and black contrast! Looks great!
Thank you. The shade of blue they use certainly likes to play in different lighting. Sometimes it barely looks blue, almost white, then at other times it seems like a glowing light periwinkle blue.

It would be great if we could get real pictures of every color of the Ultra on this thread! Would help people make a decision based on true to life photos.

Reactions: jamezr

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I am really tempted about this phone. S23U was amazing, but I got swayed again by Apple ecosystem. Now I have only MacBook and 15PM and switching it is really hard for me, but damn I am tempted, especially if I use any phone for only basic tasks.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I am really tempted about this phone. S23U was amazing, but I got swayed again by Apple ecosystem. Now I have only MacBook and 15PM and switching it is really hard for me, but damn I am tempted, especially if I use any phone for only basic tasks.
It is a great phone but so is the 15PM and considering you only have a MacBook you probably wouldn't enjoy an Android phone too much with it.

I am the last person to dissuade anyone from the S24U but trying to be honest and realistic.

Reactions: max2 and JohnRckr

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
It is a great phone but so is the 15PM and considering you only have a MacBook you probably wouldn't enjoy an Android phone too much with it.

I am the last person to dissuade anyone from the S24U but trying to be honest and realistic.
Yea I get it, I wish iPhones were not so boring. I might try the Ultra in the end anyway..

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Just install Parallels on your MBP and you have the full experience of Samsung and MS ECO :)

Thats what I do with my MBP 16 M2 and MBP 14 M3 with my Fold 5 :D

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Just install Parallels on your MBP and you have the full experience of Samsung and MS ECO :)

Thats what I do with my MBP 16 M2 and MBP 14 M3 with my Fold 5 :D
I might have to try that just to try it. How does parallels work. Do I need a copy of windows separately from my PC? Any online guides you could refer me to would be greatly appreciated. I can search on the net but you might point me in a better direction than Google alone.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I just got the Flolab screen protector.

It installed easily with a frame and pull tab. There were a couple spots that didn't adhere right away but eventually I don't see any bubbles.

The protector has a black border around the edges. It has an anti reflective coating, anti smudge coating, etc. I generally detest screen protectors with a black border but I think I know why they did it. With other screen protectors I was getting a rainbow effect along the edges.

The AR coating is invisible and it is noticeable compared to regular tempered glass screen protector but still not the same as the bare cover glass.

I need a little time but so far I can't complain other than they charge way too much.

You get two in a pack and one is pre installed in the applicator frame ready to go.

You can pay $10-$20 for a cheap tempered glass screen protector or $40 for these. Since I have a replacement and it seems easy to install then if I ever need a new protector I am all set.

They are expensive no doubt but they are the only tempered glass screen protectors I could find with a anti reflective coating.

If anyone finds another brand of anti reflective screen protectors please post a link here.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/176xo86

https://www.reddit.com/r/iPhone15Pro/comments/191kjfu
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/17v0vd1
Seems like all companies have issues with every release and they all show up on Reddit.

Defective devices suck no matter the brand. We all know there is a percentage of new devices that are Defective. We all get one every so often. I feel sorry for anyone with a defective devices.

We don't even want to mention Google here do we?

I don't think I should buy anything if I go by Reddit. Holy crap. The most innocent things are the spawn of Satan. 😆 Lol

Reactions: jamezr

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I might have to try that just to try it. How does parallels work. Do I need a copy of windows separately from my PC? Any online guides you could refer me to would be greatly appreciated. I can search on the net but you might point me in a better direction than Google alone.
Parallels installation does it all for you :) including installing Win11 :) very easy just follow the simple prompts

However you will need to activate Win11 to get full benefits of updates etc, but will work without and just some nag screens till you do

Fortunately I had 2 Win10 activation keys from the old bootcamp days on my MB's that I could re-use

Parallels is a virtual desktop and you can just swipe left of right to jump between macOS and Win11, its not as good as bootcamp IMO but also it does not take over the whole laptop

Last edited:

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
Parallels installation does it all for you :) including installing Win11 :) very easy just follow the simple prompts

However you will need to activate Win11 to get full benefits of updates etc, but will work without and just some nag screens till you do

Fortunately I had 2 Win10 activation keys from the old bootcamp days on my MB's that I could re-use

Parallels is a virtual desktop and you can just swipe left of right to jump between macOS and Win11, its not as good as bootcamp IMO but also it does not take over the whole laptop
How is the performance on it though?

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
Is 18gb ram enough? I got base model 16inch m3 pro, I’m just wondering if it’s worth the price…

Anyway, since this thread is about S24U, I’m still thinking about jumping the ship and trying it out. I really don’t use many features that I can when having iPhone and MacBook, hell I don’t even take photos with my phone, for me it’s really just pocket machine for calls and web browsing.. and I can do that with any phone. When I’m home, the phone is pretty much not used at all since I can do all of the stuff on my MacBook..
And so I’m thinking.. maybe I should the the S24U

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
As I noted not as good as bootcamp, I don't game so cant comment in that area, but generally its ok even with my large spreadsheets

I have most issues with Outlook lagging at times probably due to pst file size

I think its quite RAM hungry is the most likely cause of performance issues for some
agreed Parallels is not as great performance wise as Bootcamp was. because you could boot into Windows.

But I will say this about Parallels. If you have external monitors....It is awesome to be able to have MacOs on one monitor and windows on another. but it is very resource heavy.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So it is completely 100% Samsung official. My return of the s24 plus went through and was refunded. My trade in was received and credited. My monthly Samsung care plus has been activated. Not sure how long I will keep insurance as it is usually a losing deal but for the first few months it might just be worth it. Generally failures happen in 3 months. Then it would just be for loss or stolen protection and considering the cost of replacement and repair it might be worth it but I am still deciding.

I have to say I am pretty happy with how the transaction proceeded. We have all read numerous story's of horror when a device is stolen in transit or at the refurbishing depot and then the customer is charged for the trade in months later. Or any number of other customer service/transaction related issues. My experience with the pre order went very smooth except the first day or two of trying to order on the website was a mess. After a couple days, things settled down. I ordered two phones. A s24 plus and a s24 ultra both with the same trade in came in at less than the cost of a new Pixel 8 Pro. Of course I was only planning on keeping one. Ultimately I sent back the s24 plus and freebies and got a full refund very quickly. My second order came a few days later since I ordered it a few days later. Once I made the final decision to go with the ultra I sent back the s 24 plus, reset my s23 ultra and boxed it for trade in on the s24 ultra. Sent everything back at the same time and within 10 business days got refunds on everything.

So for $549 I am the happy owner of the s24 ultra and it has been a bit of a roller coaster ride to be honest. I went through he comparisons in my head and cost justifications and then I said stop it. Yes, the s24 plus is a damn good phone and for half the price of the ultra is extremely tempting. BUT the S24 Ultra in my opinion is getting sh!tted on by a lot of reviewers and general people. They are not excited or don't feel wowed??? I don't get it. I understand feeling underwhelmed by something but usually it has more to do with my expectations than the actual thing in front of me. If I give myself enough time I can see all the subtle details I missed at first and then can make a better choice.

Having had a good few weeks with the Ultra I can say with certainty that is by far the absolute Pinnacle of the Ultra/Note series. We can nit pick ram, but beyond that it is simply the very best bar phone you can buy-Period.

People often talk price as a reason to go with another brand. I get it. MSRP is a bitch. But how many of us who buy Samsung products every really pay MSRP? And that is something that is not really said too often. Samsung offers better value to repeat customers generally speaking. And not just phones, tablets, pc's, watches, ear buds, etc.

So if I compare on price of what I would pay other brands including some of which I am a repeat customer and get none of the perks that Samsung extends to me? Apple? Google? If I wanted to get a new Apple phone when I had the latest pro max Apple phone and trade in it would have cost me over $1000!!! With my Pixel 8 Pro base model I paid about the same as the Ultra but I also got the watch 6 classic. With the Pixel 8 Pro I got the Pixel watch 2. But if you compare the Pixel 8 Pro 128 gb and Pixel watch 2 vs the s24 ultra and Glaxy watch 6 classic I think most people will agree that the s24 ultra and watch classic 6 are a better choice for the same price?

What other phone could I buy for $549 that would give me what the s24 Ultra has? Where could I get a better smartwatch for $100?

Also I have had to deal with Samsung customer service and it is not perfect. I have had to call more than once or escalate a situation to get a resolution but I have always gotten a satisfactory resolution even if I was inconvenienced. Samsung has always made it up to me financially.

To me this is a pretty big deal no one really talks about when comparing Android phones or more specifically Samsung phones to Apple. Now that Samsung is offering 7 years of software updates there is no longer the debate of should I get an iPhone because it will last longer. Resale values of Samsung devices like the 24 Ultra and up should be better than the generations before as a result but it might take a little time for that to happen.

The point in my opinion is that more so than any other brand and despite its problems and shortcomings, Samsung has offered me consistently good hardware and software on multiple devices and extended discounts and trade ins on older devices I may have just thrown away and it has allowed me to enjoy more high end stuff more often than any other company.

A lot of companies talk about this and that and treating the customer right but when it is not in the companies financial interest to do so a lot of companies have disappointed me but Samsung and Apple so far have not been on that list or if they were it was not too long and they did something to change my mind.

The next time someone talks to me about cost on the Ultra vs a Pro Max or whatever I just smile to myself knowing I didn't pay whatever they did for their Pro Max or folding phone and I enjoy the best of what Samsung has to offer me. Not every Samsung device is a winner-the s22 is a good example(in terms of battery, thermals and could have been faster)but s23 and now 24 have been great. Just like every other company. They have winners and losers and some in between.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
To me this is a pretty big deal no one really talks about when comparing Android phones or more specifically Samsung phones to Apple. Now that Samsung is offering 7 years of software updates there is no longer the debate of should I get an iPhone because it will last longer. Resale values of Samsung devices like the 24 Ultra and up should be better than the generations before as a result but it might take a little time for that to happen.
I don't think software updates have any correlation to resale value.

The reason why the iPhone have a better resale value is due to the same reason you praise Samsung over offering great deals. Apple doesn't offer any crazy discounts for the iPhone... yeah, they have slowly moved in the direction of giving users better trade ins. But for the most part, the iPhone doesn't go on sale like Android phones.

And I think that has something to do with resale value, because if I know as a reseller that retailers often slash prices off a product and the cost is no way near the original MSRP. Then the resale value will plumet. I think the announcement of 7-year updates were there for attention as a "look at me" type scenario Samsung (similar to what Google did with Pixel 8/8 Pro).

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021

The reason why the iPhone have a better resale value is due to the same reason you praise Samsung over offering great deals. Apple doesn't offer any crazy discounts for the iPhone... yeah, they have slowly moved in the direction of giving users better trade ins. But for the most part, the iPhone doesn't go on sale like Android phones.

And I think that has something to do with resale value, because if I know as a reseller that retailers often slash prices off a product and the cost is no way near the original MSRP. Then the resale value will plumet. I think the announcement of 7-year updates were there for attention as a "look at me" type scenario Samsung (similar to what Google did with Pixel 8/8 Pro).

Apple is starting to allow discounts with 3rd party retailers which they never did before. Apple resale value isn't what it used to be because of it.

I agree discounts are more direct an influence but longer update support is indirect. Deep discounts happen as a device gets closer to losing support and now that s24 has 7 years the need to offer the same kind of discounts changes. Update support does influence resale value for sure. So I disagree with you there.

Apple still has better resale value at the moment but I think that calculation is changing in the favor of any Android OEM that offers longer term software support.

Reactions: Ludatyk

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
What other phone could I buy for $549 that would give me what the s24 Ultra has? Where could I get a better smartwatch for $100?

I read this all the time and it grinds my gears. Do you tell yourself that you only spent £549 on the S24 Ultra to make yourself feel better ? You have totally disregarded the value of the trade in you sent in.

What you have actually spent to get the S24 Ultra is over a 1000 bucks, you've maybe saved a bit but even with the savings you've made you're still out of pocket a big chunk just to have the latest and greatest!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

If you buy an IPhone and never buy any accessory or AC etc etc and sell it after 3 years on a popular US site you maybe lucky when comparing sticker prices only, be $50-150 better off than equivalent Samsung

Soon as you factor in real ownership costs with cases, buds, watches etc etc it soon swings in to a bust and depending where you live often in Samsung favour. Especially for early adopters deals vs waiting 3 months of more and no deals but a lower sticker price

I agree 7 years is icing on the cake only

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I read this all the time and it grinds my gears. Do you tell yourself that you only spent £549 on the S24 Ultra to make yourself feel better ? You have totally disregarded the value of the trade in you sent in.

What you have actually spent to get the S24 Ultra is over a 1000 bucks, you've maybe saved a bit but even with the savings you've made you're still out of pocket a big chunk just to have the latest and greatest!
I am sorry to offend you.

You are actually wrong. Do you know how much I paid for the s23 ultra? Or the phone I sold to pay for it?

I will break down my personal experience. I have my own technique to buying. I used to be a professoinal buyer. It is all about getting the lowest upfront cost and the timing when depreciation destroys any profit or at least breaking even. My goal is to break even or spend as little out of pocket as possible. Keeping newer devices has a set of cost benefits as well as being just a cost.

I bought a s22plus free with contract on t mobile. Finished contract. Google Fi had a half price sale on unlocked s23 ultra for $599 with no trade and only requirement was to use their service for 4 months. Sold s22 plus and paid for the s23 ultra.

Then I traded in the Ultra I essentially paid nothing for and got over $1000 in discounts and $750 for my S23U. In the end I got the S24U for $549 out of my pocket and $100 for the watch 6 classic.

Granted anyone who trades a device in, has paid for it. That is not always the case with Carrier promotions linked to Samsung phones.

I have found no other company who's products offer multi avenues of discounts.

I think I stated before as a repeat customer of Google, I end up paying more out of my pocket and getting less in the same type of transactions. I end up paying about the same as Apple but without a lot of the perks. Of course there are a lot of benefits to the Google ecosystem if it works for you. I love Googles industrial design language, Material UI, and many other aspects of owning a Pixel device. But I also get terrible customer service in comparison and poorer hardware for more money.

In my previous example I bought the s24 ultra with 512gb storage and watch 6 classic for the same price as I got the Pixel 8 Pro 128gb and Pixel watch 2.

Neither is a bad deal but with Samsung I get so much more and of cost was more an issue I could have gotten the s24 plus for $247 out of pocket or around $400 with the s24 plus and watch 6 classic.

My examples are unique to me and my buying habits. I am not saying my example is typical but I am saying it is possible depending on timing and deals, promotions, pre order and trade in, along with private sales. You can do this with any brand but your results will vary widely depending on a lot of factors. My statements were generalizations and I am sorry if I projected them as typical.

In my personal experience over many years of buying various devices, Samsung has been consistently the best value for me. Samsung is not perfect and I don't like every decision or device they make. There have been lemons, looking at you s6 plus with no battery life, but more often they have been solid, reliable, well made, and feature rich. No Samsung is not cheap and the stuff you want is generally expensive but in terms of value over time in my opinion they can't be beat. Yet. I can't wait to find a better value company and it would be great if it was Apple or Google.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I am sorry to offend you.

You are actually wrong. Do you know how much I paid for the s23 ultra? Or the phone I sold to pay for it?

I will break down my personal experience. I have my own technique to buying. I used to be a professoinal buyer. It is all about getting the lowest upfront cost and the timing when depreciation destroys any profit or at least breaking even. My goal is to break even or spend as little out of pocket as possible. Keeping newer devices has a set of cost benefits as well as being just a cost.

I bought a s22plus free with contract on t mobile. Finished contract. Google Fi had a half price sale on unlocked s23 ultra for $599 with no trade and only requirement was to use their service for 4 months. Sold s22 plus and paid for the s23 ultra.

Then I traded in the Ultra I essentially paid nothing for and got over $1000 in discounts and $750 for my S23U. In the end I got the S24U for $549 out of my pocket and $100 for the watch 6 classic.

Granted anyone who trades a device in, has paid for it. That is not always the case with Carrier promotions linked to Samsung phones.

I have found no other company who's products offer multi avenues of discounts.

I think I stated before as a repeat customer of Google, I end up paying more out of my pocket and getting less in the same type of transactions. I end up paying about the same as Apple but without a lot of the perks. Of course there are a lot of benefits to the Google ecosystem if it works for you. I love Googles industrial design language, Material UI, and many other aspects of owning a Pixel device. But I also get terrible customer service in comparison and poorer hardware for more money.

In my previous example I bought the s24 ultra with 512gb storage and watch 6 classic for the same price as I got the Pixel 8 Pro 128gb and Pixel watch 2.

Neither is a bad deal but with Samsung I get so much more and of cost was more an issue I could have gotten the s24 plus for $247 out of pocket or around $400 with the s24 plus and watch 6 classic.

My examples are unique to me and my buying habits. I am not saying my example is typical but I am saying it is possible depending on timing and deals, promotions, pre order and trade in, along with private sales. You can do this with any brand but your results will vary widely depending on a lot of factors. My statements were generalizations and I am sorry if I projected them as typical.

In my personal experience over many years of buying various devices, Samsung has been consistently the best value for me. Samsung is not perfect and I don't like every decision or device they make. There have been lemons, looking at you s6 plus with no battery life, but more often they have been solid, reliable, well made, and feature rich. No Samsung is not cheap and the stuff you want is generally expensive but in terms of value over time in my opinion they can't be beat. Yet. I can't wait to find a better value company and it would be great if it was Apple or Google.
You didn't offend me, no need to apologise, it was I that was wrong so I'm sorry.

I assumed (wrongly) that your situation was as most others, they trade in their current phone and pay X amount and then claim new phone only cost the X amount and completely overlook the value of the trade in.

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
One of the most understated defects on the s22/23 models was the camera and how it takes blurry photos of moving objects

Has this been fixed in the s24 series? I’d be very surprised if it has

What did you think of face unlock? I found it so useless on the s23 ultra that I just sold the phone on . Can’t believe such a premium phone can’t even get these basic features right.

We complain about iOS being boring but if Samsung can’t even get these basics right it’s no surprise I’m still stuck with the 11 PM 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.