Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steph123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2022
When I try to install the driver it says it is "not compatible with this version of macOS".

I don't know much about computers. I have EVERYTHING saved on this Samsung SSD T5 that I got a few years ago and used on my old laptop that I don't have anymore. I used it as a backup and was going to just copy and paste all my files onto my new MacBook. But I can't now???? Did I royally screw up?! Please help! It is showing this message: (see pic). I had a password setup on it, so not sure if that is the problem too? I do have the password.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 1.51.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 1.51.47 PM.png
    983.8 KB · Views: 1,523

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I routinely use two different Samsung T5 SSDs for backing up my Mac. The T5 does not require a driver in order to use it with your Mac. It sounds like you may be trying to install a Windows driver.

As stated above, the T5 does not require a driver for use in macOS. You can connect your T5 either from a TB3/USB-C port or use an adapter to connect to a USB 3 port.

Reactions: chabig

steph123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2022
I routinely use two different Samsung T5 SSDs for backing up my Mac. The T5 does not require a driver in order to use it with your Mac. It sounds like you may be trying to install a Windows driver.

As stated above, the T5 does not require a driver for use in macOS. You can connect your T5 either from a TB3/USB-C port or use an adapter to connect to a USB 3 port.
It made me install it, like there was no way past it once I plugged it in. How can I get around it? I'm not sure what those cables are that you are talking about, but I have the one my samsung ssd T5 came with, and it fits in the computer..

steph123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2022
It made me install it, like there was no way past it once I plugged it in. How can I get around it? I'm not sure what those cables are that you are talking about, but I have the one my samsung ssd T5 came with, and it fits in the computer..
Is this a problem? ...

Attachments

• MS-DOS (FAT32).png
    MS-DOS (FAT32).png
    54.4 KB · Views: 945

steph123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2022
It made me install it, like there was no way past it once I plugged it in. How can I get around it? I'm not sure what those cables are that you are talking about, but I have the one my samsung ssd T5 came with, and it fits in the computer..Is

Is this a problem?....

Attachments

• MS-DOS (FAT32).png
    MS-DOS (FAT32).png
    54.4 KB · Views: 284

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
What made you install it? What is it exactly that you're trying to do? As I said the T5 does not require a driver when used with macOS.

The Samsung T5 comes with a USB-C cable which fits into a Thunderbolt 3 connector, and it also comes with a USB-C cable that fits into a standard USB-3 port on your Mac.

There is no requirement to install a driver. Many of us are using the T5 without the need of a special driver.

Reactions: chabig

steph123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2022
What made you install it? What is it exactly that you're trying to do? As I said the T5 does not require a driver when used with macOS.

The Samsung T5 comes with a USB-C cable which fits into a Thunderbolt 3 connector, and it also comes with a USB-C cable that fits into a standard USB-3 port on your Mac.

There is no requirement to install a driver. Many of us are using the T5 without the need of a special driver.
Is it because I had set a password? Does that make it encrypted? (I don't fully know what that means but from the reading I've done, that's what I figure). So what I'm trying to do is to use my Samsung SSD T5 on my brand new MacBook Air M1. I had been using this Samsung SSD T5 on my old MacBook, but I bought a brand new MacBook so now I do not have my old one anymore. I have saved ALL my files on my Samsung SSD T5, and did not transfer anything at all from my old MacBook to my new MacBook because I was going to just transfer it all straight from my Samsung SSD T5. However, when I plug it into my new MacBook, it tells me I need to download this driver and when I do so, it tells me it is not compatible as seen in the pic I posted. Furthermore, I went to check Utility Disk as per what I have read online, and I noticed that my Samsung SSD T5 is of the format MS-DOS (FAT32). Is that the problem?? PLEASE help! I cannot lose all my files and my precious photos.

cyberhound

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2013
Does that installer pop up when you connect the drive? If so, just quit the installer. Then open finder and look for the T5 disk on the left hand side. Click it to open it. Do you see your files and folders?

I think it has an installer that auto starts. I would probably delete it, but first I would copy my files over before I deleted anything.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Having to threads asking for help for the same issue only serves to confuse folks?

You caused the issue by setting up the T5 incorrectly in the first place, then you misplaced one off the cables!

Lou

Reactions: IowaLynn

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Okay, that makes more sense. No, setting a security password for the T5 does not make it encrypted. Do you remember the password? If so, enter the correct password and then you should be able to use the T5.

Note though.... that you can not use the MS DOS format with your new M1 MacBook Air if you want to use the T5 for Time Machine or backing up. So make sure you copy all the files off the T5 first, then use Disk Utility to erase it and format it as APFS.

Reactions: AndressaBM

gemgirl

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2022
I have a MacBookPro 12.1, updated to Monterey, now my Samsung SSD T5 isn't accepted by the mac. It pops up on finder, then disappears. I updated the T5, downloaded, installed, but still not accepted. I wanted to add new pdf's to samsung and then the cloud, to clear my computer.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I use 1 TB Samsung T5 as external SSD. When I first bought it, I erased the disk with Disk Utility because I didn't want to deal with T5's driver app.

If you have a new T5, just erase it and use it like any other external SSD.

Reactions: pommephone

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One more vote ...

If the t5 is "new" -- if it has no data on it yet -- just use disk utility to erase it to APFS.

FORGET ABOUT using the Samsung software.

gemgirl

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2022
Yes, I see how that's the way to go. It's not 'new', has data on it that I'd like to save. My blogs, as pdf's, putting into a book. All bought from Best Buy & have their maintenance contract, so I'll see what they have to say. I'd like to save the past data, & just add to it. Sorry I installed Monterey. It used to be simple. Thanks for all your input.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
+1 all the "don't use the Samsung software" takes. Or any disk vendor's software, another pain/failure point down the road.

I've been using a T5 for years, working like a champ on Monterey.

Appears that the software is no longer supported. Last MacOS was High Sierra, no support for Windows 11. And with Apple getting rid of kernel extensions for system extensions, not surprised to see that whatever kernel that shipped with the software has issues. September 2020 was last update to these packages.

At this point, if you can get access to an older Mac or Windows 10 or older PC, install the software there and disable the Samsung software protection on the drive.

Reactions: Fishrrman

rad_005

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
I know it's been over a year since this thread started but I've been having the same problem and you guys solved my issue. thank you.

So, for anyone getting the "incompatible" software popping up -- I went here: https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

scrolled down to- "Samsung Portable SSD Software for T5, X5 (3)"

downloaded "Portable SSD Software for Mac"

Installed, restarted my computer and then my drive and all the storage on it was recognized. I also went into the software into settings and UNCLICKED security mode. i think this is why it hasn't been working for me.

hope this helps anyone struggling w the same issues still!

sam.antony

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2023
I know it's been over a year since this thread started but I've been having the same problem and you guys solved my issue. thank you.

So, for anyone getting the "incompatible" software popping up -- I went here: https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

scrolled down to- "Samsung Portable SSD Software for T5, X5 (3)"

downloaded "Portable SSD Software for Mac"

Installed, restarted my computer and then my drive and all the storage on it was recognized. I also went into the software into settings and UNCLICKED security mode. i think this is why it hasn't been working for me.

hope this helps anyone struggling w the same issues still!
This worked like a charm...thanks for taking the time come back and post it..you are the best!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.