Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

The gist is, Samsung is using its patents to "monopolize" the parts and repair market, at least in the US.

And it's also affecting Apple as Samsung is taking it to BoE as well, which Apple is contracting with.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure if this will affect much in my country since enforcement would be difficult. The 3rd party repair industry here is so fragmented that Samsung would have to literally lobby the government and pass some sort of regulation to get everyone. Also, the presence and competition from the Chinese is quite fierce in my country, so Samsung cannot be complacent. But I can see this is troublesome for the US.

It's sad as right now, Samsung to me is the top choice for Android, offering the best features for my needs, along with the best software support. If Samsung becomes a really bad actor, especially in repairs, I cannot imagine which other Android OEM I would switch to. Previously, Huawei would have been the alternative, but the lack of GMS made it a no go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.