Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalbreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
I just reviewed the Sandmarc Anamorphic lens attachment for the iPhone 12 Pro. My video was also recorded using the anamorphic lens and iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Basically, it is a lens that you can attach to your iPhone camera. Unlike other lens attachments, such as the wide-angle, macro, or telephoto lenses, this lens is special. The anamorphic lens will specifically allow you to capture cinematic video footage, similar to what you see in the movies. The anamorphic lens helps you capture widescreen videos referred to as CinemaScope. This particular lens lets you capture widescreen videos of aspect ratio 16:9.

Usually, anamorphic lenses for your DSLR cameras, used to make movies, are expensive ranging from $600 to $5000 US dollars. So, it is nice to see that we have affordable options available that we can use our iPhones to capture cinematic video.

So, what do these anamorphic lenses do? Well, unlike regular lenses, these squeeze the video onto your sensor. This particular anamorphic lens squeezes the image 1.33x times onto your sensor. This means, if you use your iPhone camera app, the video is going to be looking squeezed. You need something to de-squeeze and get you that widescreen cinemascope aspect ratio. You have two choices: Either edit the video in Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro or use advanced camera apps like FilMic Pro that support recording videos that support anamorphic lens adapters. I chose to use the FilMic Pro app. All you have to do in the Filmic Pro app is go to Settings, then Hardware and then turn on either the 1.33x or 1.55x anamorphic adapter.

Let me know in the comments what you think about the Sandmarc Anamorphic Lens for iPhone and my videos I captured using the lens.

Pskordilis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2021
Lens distortion is a joke. Also when you use it with a filter good luck with vignetting. Overrated lens trashes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.