Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Well my quad core i7 MPB turned up this morning, so the first thing had to be to see how well it folds!

It's just the stock 2.0 GHz 15" version, but initial indications are good.

It downloaded a 6701 WU, which do tend to be slower than the others, so I'll update these figures once its done a few different units.

TPF: 11 min 46 s
PPD: 6184
CPU temp: 85 C
Fan speed: 4667 rpm (both)
Power draw: 58-59 W (screen off, 62-63 W with screen on)

For comparison, my 2.4 C2D iMac does about 1400 ppd using 75 W, but at a much cooler 54 C.

Feel free to add your own Sandy Bridge numbers for comparison.

Keep folding!

Rob

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks for the update! are you going to continue to fold with it, or is this just a test?

that's really good for a laptop, and not much power usage, but i don't know about those temps.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Holy cow, that is as fast as my quad core desktop! :eek: I am getting TPFs of 11 mins on these dumb 6701s. Cant seem to get anything else. These new MBPs could run bigadvs if left awake all the time! :eek:

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
I'm really curious to see how the mobile chips compare to my 2600k. I'll put something together tomorrow.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Well, I'm now running a 6040, so not exactly stellar points wise, but better than the 6701:

TPF: 15 min 43 s
PPD: 7445

This is really just an experiment for the mpb - Once I decide on which SSD to get it will become my main home machine.

What is slightly concerning is that the CPU is at 85 C, but the heatsink temperatures are at 45 and 46 C. That really does suggest that the thermal paste isn't doing it's job of letting the heat move to the heatsink.
I'm trying to resist the urge to redo it with some AS5 to see if I can drop the CPU temp, but for normal (non folding!) use I can't see it being a problem.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Edit for comparison's sake to current desktop tech:

Used the PPD calc here: http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

i7-2600k @ 4.4ghz
p6060
TPF: ~2 min 5 sec
PPD: 31026

Then, later:

i7-2600k @ 4.5ghz
p6900 (core a5)
TPF: ~26 min 0 sec
PPD: 46454

Very very happy with this new machine. I've name it Atlas. Seemed fitting.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well, I'm now running a 6040, so not exactly stellar points wise, but better than the 6701:

TPF: 15 min 43 s
PPD: 7445

This is really just an experiment for the mpb - Once I decide on which SSD to get it will become my main home machine.

What is slightly concerning is that the CPU is at 85 C, but the heatsink temperatures are at 45 and 46 C. That really does suggest that the thermal paste isn't doing it's job of letting the heat move to the heatsink.
I'm trying to resist the urge to redo it with some AS5 to see if I can drop the CPU temp, but for normal (non folding!) use I can't see it being a problem.

hmm. do we have any numbers for other machines folding the same units? i would like to see how it stacks up to an i7 920 at stock speeds.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
hmm. do we have any numbers for other machines folding the same units? i would like to see how it stacks up to an i7 920 at stock speeds.

Maybe we should create a thread here for that? I know there's some on the actual folding forums but one here may be easier to navigate.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Maybe we should create a thread here for that? I know there's some on the actual folding forums but one here may be easier to navigate.

either that, or hopefully someone can post some numbers in this thread to give us something to compare to.

from trying to google, i've found that an i7 920 folds the 6040 units around 12-14 minutes, depending on overclock! this macbook pro isn't far off!

rwh202

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Well, I finally got something else different to the 6701s:

Project 6067
TPF: 5min 11s
PPD: 7906

Not bad, especially for just 60W of power.

Rob

rwh202

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
UK
so are you still folding with the mbp?

i wonder how the newer mbps would fold? standard i7 is 2.2 ghz, correct?

Yeah, still folding.

I'm only running -smp 4 at the moment though, otherwise I start to notice some lag in normal use.

It's only about 4k ppd, so barely worth it when compared to the desktop i7s, but every little helps.

The newer ones would be a tad faster, but the bonus points mean that a small increase in speed gives a large increase in points.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yeah, still folding.

I'm only running -smp 4 at the moment though, otherwise I start to notice some lag in normal use.

It's only about 4k ppd, so barely worth it when compared to the desktop i7s, but every little helps.

The newer ones would be a tad faster, but the bonus points mean that a small increase in speed gives a large increase in points.

oh okay. i just ordered a new mbp last night with the $200 off from best buy. i'm not sure if i'll fold with it, but we'll see

rwh202

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
UK
oh okay. i just ordered a new mbp last night with the $200 off from best buy. i'm not sure if i'll fold with it, but we'll see

Congrats on the new MBP! - is this an upgrade or a new addition to your collection?

Mine is almost permanently used as a desktop so folding on it isn't a problem. I wouldn't like the hassle of trying to use it as portable whilst folding though.

The clients should pause when on battery, but I've not had too much success with it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Congrats on the new MBP! - is this an upgrade or a new addition to your collection?

Mine is almost permanently used as a desktop so folding on it isn't a problem. I wouldn't like the hassle of trying to use it as portable whilst folding though.

The clients should pause when on battery, but I've not had too much success with it.

thanks! this is a new addition. my current MBP is a mid 2009 2.8 ghz dual-core, that my wife is getting now.

yeah if i do fold with it, i won't move it at all. but at first i'll just be setting it up and moving files. i have a 27" cinema display to hook up to it (non-thunderport)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.