Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Hello all! I just bought a very good condition 20" Apple Cinema Display from Craigslist... One of the aluminum ones. I've tested it out and it worked great, but now I've a stickler problem.

You see, I'm a bit germaphobic and want to sanitize it, and 70% isopropyl alchohol is usually the sanitizer of choice. But I've heard that this can do dastardly things to the plastic on the screen.

Is there something better I should use? Or would cleaning it this one time (and never again) not hurt it enough to matter?

Thanks!

Last edited:

sr2012

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Hello all! I just bought a very good condition 20" Apple Cinema Display from Craigslist... One of the aluminum ones. I've tested it out and it worked great, but now I've a stickler problem.

You see, I'm a bit germaphobic and want to sanitize it, and 70% isopropyl alchohol is usually the sanitizer of choice. But I've heard that this can do dastardly things to the plastic on the screen.

Is there something better I should use? Or would cleaning it this one time (and never again) not hurt it enough to matter?

Thanks!

I think you can get proper screen cleaning solutions that have some alcohol in it. 70% sounds harsh.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Like I said, the reason I want to clean it is because I bought it from a stranger, and for all I know they liked to lick their fingers and touch it -- so I just want to make sure that it is sanitary before I start using it, even if I never touch it myself.

Thanks for the help though, I ended up using a 50/50 mix of 70% rubbing alcohol and water for the screen, and a Lysol wipe for the aluminum.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Like I said, the reason I want to clean it is because I bought it from a stranger, and for all I know they liked to lick their fingers and touch it -- so I just want to make sure that it is sanitary before I start using it, even if I never touch it myself.

Thanks for the help though, I ended up using a 50/50 mix of 70% rubbing alcohol and water for the screen, and a Lysol wipe for the aluminum.

Outside of a complete disassembly that the best you can hope for.

You should be fine with your solution

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.