Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcscot

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Looking to sanity check something (thanks in advance). I'm a long term Mac user and historically have copied over my entire Music library (music files + library files) each time I upgrade machine. I have a fairly extensive music collection, historically ripped from CD, then iTunes purchases, and of course now Apple Music. I'm a subscriber to Apple Music and iTunes Match.

I've recently upgraded to a new Mac Studio and decided that I would just try to log in on Apple Music. Seems most of my library is there (including some tracks I had ripped that were a bit niche). However, doing an Album count I can see there are 13 Albums difference (new machine has less).

I'd really prefer if I could just synch over the cloud as the last time copying over was painful (in terms of artwork issues). But keen to understand if there is any downside ? I'm assuming I need to keep iTunes Match subscription active (which I am happy to do). I also intend to keep a backup of the old machine that I could use down the line.

Also, is there an easy way to identify the missing albums? I did have historically some Voice notes in the library, so thinking it could be that.

Thanks in advance !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.