Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tehpsyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
For those of you who've had one of the premium Apple Watches with the sapphire display, how has it held up to scratches?

I've owned the Series 0 and now the Series 3 both the sport / Ion-X glass models and have ended up with a few large scratches on both models. Did screen protectors for a while but they always ended up peeling off or looking terrible and I really didn't enjoy them, but without one I've managed some bad scratches. I work in the emergency department and the watch gets bumped and knocked around quite a bit.

Thinking of spending some extra money and getting the Series 4 with the sapphire crystal display and was wondering if anyone else has made the jump or found the sapphire to be more durable. Being more careful and or using screen protectors aren't good options for my use so if it would make a considerable difference I wouldn't mind spending the extra money.

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
Series 0-2 I had the aluminum model with the Ion-X glass and ALWAYS ended up with scratches on it! But I am a klutz. I am always bumping my wrist into my desk or into a door frame, etc etc.

Series 3 I splurged and got the stainless steel model and let me tell you, the screen looks flawless. And I have absolutely bumped this guy into things just as with my other watches. I've got some scuffs on the body of it but the screen/glass itself still looks new.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
I’ve never had the sapphire crystal scratch or break. I accidentally banged my S0 directly into a metal door frame pretty hard once. Still no scratch I was shocked. It hit so hard I thought for sure it would have shattered. Didn’t even scratch the black coating on the watch. But I also don’t believe the impact hit anything but the face of the watch.

My S3 SBSS model never went through the hell I put the S0 through. It still looks brand new. I use my shirt to wipe it off from time to time. Not even a hairline scratch.

Sapphire is pretty tough. Wish they made the phones out of it, especially since they’re all glass now.

Reactions: Brien

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
I have S2 SS. The stainless has some wear on close inspection but the sapphire is flawless. I've bumped stucco, metal, and plenty of other hazards with no marks.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Had the S0 and S2 both were flawless after countless bumping and hitting stuff

Definitely worth it for someone that is hard on jewelry like me

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have owned six stainless Apple Watches, all of which never had a single scratch on the Sapphire display. I will gladly pay Apples premium to have the Apple Watch with the sapphire display, thats how content I was with the resilience and how durable the displays are.

meikdunj

macrumors regular
May 21, 2015
I’ve had three sapphire apples watches, all have scratched. The glass is scratch resistant but not scratch proof.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Really wish they offered the sapphire screen in the GPS model on the S4, oh well...thankfully these watches are basically disposable after 2-3 years.

BacToMac

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
I've been wearing the S0 for three years + with zero scratches. I was quite nervous about durability at first, but I have banged it into most everything imaginable--a graceful swan I am not. I've had a few of "those" moments where you're afraid to turn your wrist back over because you're sure the screen will be cracked. Nope, not so much as a scratch. As much as I want GPS only, I am paying to upgrade to the S4 SS. Hubby bought the S3 aluminum and scratched it within the first month.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
got the aluminium watch and the glass scratched after a few weeks.

ordered the SS this time around.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
At this point I consider stainless to be the only viable option. The glass screens might as well be made of butter.

I have owned an SS since launch with zero scratches. I tried an aluminum for a single weekend and put all sorts of scratches on the screen.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
You guys seriuosly have to tell me what you are doing because I’ve had all watches so far, both glass and sapphire, and all of them have been scratched to hell and back by the time i was done with them. And before you ask, I’m just a writer, not a jackhammer operator or something. It got so bad I had to put a case on the series 3 cellular. Whatever you guys do you must never ever bump your hands into anything.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
You guys seriuosly have to tell me what you are doing because I’ve had all watches so far, both glass and sapphire, and all of them have been scratched to hell and back by the time i was done with them. And before you ask, I’m just a writer, not a jackhammer operator or something. It got so bad I had to put a case on the series 3 cellular. Whatever you guys do you must never ever bump your hands into anything.

I work on my vehicles (cars/motorcycle), I have smacked my SS S0 watch on metal, slid it on the concrete floor, and my screen is perfect.

Are you sure you actually scratched the crystal? There is an AR coating that can scratch off, and look like a scratch in the crystal but it isn’t. I had the AR coating come off early on and AC+ replaced the watcvh.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I work on my vehicles (cars/motorcycle), I have smacked my SS S0 watch on metal, slid it on the concrete floor, and my screen is perfect.

Are you sure you actually scratched the crystal? There is an AR coating that can scratch off, and look like a scratch in the crystal but it isn’t. I had the AR coating come off early on and AC+ replaced the watcvh.

i don’t know, how can I tell the difference?

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
My original stainless steel Apple Watch had to be repaired after I fell on some concrete steps. Scratched the edges of the face and tore up the stainless steel case pretty badly. Fortunately I had AppleCare+.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010

We are talking about the glass/crystal here and not the housing. Sapphire is harder than almost anything you would encounter other than diamond.

I have worked on cars, hiked over rugged terrain, smashed it into concrete/stone walls numerous times and the sapphire screen is as pristine as the day I bought it.

meikdunj

macrumors regular
May 21, 2015
There are numerous threads on scratched sapphire screens. If it is the AR costing then it defeats the purpose of the sapphire glass. I have Apple care but it is classed as cosmetic damage.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I had an S0 SS for about 2.5 years, and the display was absolutely perfect when I sold it. This S3 (also SS) has several deep scratches (tiny, but deep enough to feel with a fingernail) on the bottom, where the sapphire curves toward the case. The thing is, I don't recall ever hitting it on anything ... I don't use my Milanese band anymore, so it's not that, either. I don't know. The scratches are really hard to see, due to their size and position (on the curved part of the screen) so it doesn't bother me, but I AM disappointed that the watch is already scratched (I've only had it for nine months).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

If it’s the 316 L casing, that scratches very easily because it is a very soft and dense metal. The Sapphire display is very difficult to scratch, if at all in most cases. I have also owned the stainless model Apple Watches and there is nothing you can really do to _not_ scratch the regular stainless, but they can be removed with a polishing cloth if the scratches are light enough and not deep into the metal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.