Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
Hey folks,

i just got a very good deal on a "Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 4GB GDDR5".
I bought it in order to upgrade my Mac Pro 5.1 (Late 2009) GPU from the old crappy GT120.
Unfortunately the card won't show up a boot screen.
I've read some posts about the RX 580 Pulse Upgrade and hope that anyone can help me out flashing the one i recently bought.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Sorry, no solution at this time (not even for the Sapphire 580). The only cards that can show boot screens (aside from the stock cards) are the "Mac edition" Radeon 7950/7970/RX 280 variants and the Nvidia GTX 680 (along with a bunch of other Nvidia GPUs that were flashed with MacVidCards' EFI).

Reactions: thetw

thetw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
I need boot screen for accessing the "option key" Boot menu.
It's really uncomfortable to guess which drive i'm selecting while the screen is black ;)

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I need boot screen for accessing the "option key" Boot menu.
It's really uncomfortable to guess which drive i'm selecting while the screen is black ;)

You can't use this?
Screen Shot 2018-08-25 at 01.32.18.png

thetw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
Man, you're right!
It's just a nice to have to see an "Apple a day" at startup, you know ;)
But i will consider your mentioned thread.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Man, you're right!
It's just a nice to have to see an "Apple a day" at startup, you know ;)
But i will consider your mentioned thread.

Just understand that if you run Windows as one of your drives/partitions, you will not be able to get back to macOS without jumping through one of these hoops (this is assuming you're on High Sierra installed to an SSD or Mojave installed to any drive):

1. Physically disconnect your Windows drive (assuming it is on a different drive and not just a different partition)
2. Zap your NVRAM (hold Command-Option-P-R at startup), which will reset a bunch of other settings too--annoying
3. Use the script someone came up with that you run from macOS and will reboot you into Windows for the subsequent boot only, then return you to macOS for the boot after that.

Reactions: thetw

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
yes if you want to dual boot to windows APFS can be more complex but if you just disable SIP and use bootchamp.

or if you want to use OSX10.13 you can also just use HFS+ as the file system

Reactions: h9826790

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I just started using Boot Runner 3. So far I really like it. I don’t have any protected data on my Mac so I use auto-login, but certainly not required.

I boot normally to macOS, then if I want to boot Windows, I hit log off, and immediately a boot picker screen appears. I click Windows and it boots Windows. Then on reboot it goes back to macOS.

It will also allow to boot Linux or any other Mac bootable OS.

I’m using the 14 day trial, but I suspect I’ll purchase this. I do use Linux vm’s, but now I can install nativity.

BTW, this thing is fast too.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Hey folks,

i just got a very good deal on a "Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 4GB GDDR5".
I bought it in order to upgrade my Mac Pro 5.1 (Late 2009) GPU from the old crappy GT120.
Unfortunately the card won't show up a boot screen.
I've read some posts about the RX 580 Pulse Upgrade and hope that anyone can help me out flashing the one i recently bought.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Complain to Apple, they are the ones recommending the RX580 for 5,1 users in Movaje, tho only the Pulse Radeon card.

If enough people complain of the lack of boot screen, maybe, but doubtfully, they will release a Firmware update that support boot screens on the RX 580.

Reactions: lshaner

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Awakening this two year old thread as I am want to run a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+
There is no need to flash modern AMD graphic card anymore. We can make it shows boot screen by installing OpenCore.

Please refer to this thread for the details.

If you just want a quick solution. You may use the package in this post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.