Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Sapphire.RX580.4096.170302

This rom flashed no problem, only after i modified it, saved to new file and flashed it, the OS stalls and reports AMD driver issue.
Which OS Windows or OSX? If it is Windows EFI you need to disable driver signature verification. But first, you need to boot in safe mode replace the AMD driver with the Microsoft basic display adapter and reboot back normally to Windows then use this

Reactions: zoltm and octoviaa

andysa1966

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
United Kingdom
Which OS Windows or OSX? If it is Windows EFI you need to disable driver signature verification. But first, you need to boot in safe mode replace the AMD driver with the Microsoft basic display adapter and reboot back normally to Windows then use this
OS is windows, installed the GT120 and reflashed the RX580, all good now :)

Reactions: JedNZ

andysa1966

macrumors regular
May 21, 2019
United Kingdom
So I compared again the performance of both ROMs that I have that work. The one that came with the card assumed for mining and the one I downloaded from TechPowerUp, the modified ROM for mining performs better in Superposition.

I think something is strange with the ROM from TPU?, the voltage control in Wattman go up, then down and level

769, 881, 1087, 1168, 1150, 1150, 1150

The settings for mining ROM
RX580 saved ROM 2019-08-10 071553.png

RX580 saved Wattman 2019-08-13 165430.png

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_7391_1565711976.png

Settings from TechPowerUp

RX580 ROM 2019-08-10 081349.png

RX580 ROM 2019-08-13 171537.png

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_7251_1565710925.png

Power Draw Compare

rx580 compare 2019-08-13 211138.png

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
just follow the instructions, the first post tells you how to make a bios and chose ram brand

Reactions: h9826790

Alchemist68

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
Hello,

You can take my rom for Sapphire RX580 8Go Pulse modded (with Orinoco RadeonFramebuffer) (Memory Samung)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/554k1f4uvchx52x/RX.580PulseModdedForMacPro.7z/file
Hi, I am new to the forum, I just purchased a new Sapphire PULSE AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 for my 2012 MP (attached system screen shot), I am on High Sierra and want to update to Mojave, do I just have to flash the card using your modded rom, or is there some hardware tweaks that physically need doing as well, in order to get boot screen functionality with the card? sorry for the long question... and thank you in advance for any assistance with this question.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 11.07.42 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 11.07.42 am.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 263

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Hi, I am new to the forum, I just purchased a new Sapphire PULSE AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 for my 2012 MP (attached system screen shot), I am on High Sierra and want to update to Mojave, do I just have to flash the card using your modded rom, or is there some hardware tweaks that physically need doing as well, in order to get boot screen functionality with the card? sorry for the long question... and thank you in advance for any assistance with this question.
You will not get boot screen with this card. Read the post directly above yours for where to go to get a boot screen capable card for your Mac Pro.

Alchemist68

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
You will not get boot screen with this card. Read the post directly above yours for where to go to get a boot screen capable card for your Mac Pro.
Thanks for the reply. so what is the rom Thunder72fr attached to his post back in 2008?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply. so what is the rom Thunder72fr attached to his post back in 2008?
This thread, if you read it, was about tuning the card voltage / power profile for better stability / performance vs stock. Nothing to do with boot screen support.

Alchemist68

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
This thread, if you read it, was about tuning the card voltage / power profile for better stability / performance vs stock. Nothing to do with boot screen support.
Yeah thanks, it all dawned on me just before your reply..... There is a local guy in Sydney who can do the Mac mod for me, so I will send it off to him on Monday.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Reactions: inarush

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Are you sure it's a dual bios card? I couldn't find any mention to it in the specifications link I sent you. I might have missed it though.

Not sure, but I wonder how can it has three modes if no BIOS switch.

Update: Just did some search, it seems this card switch mode by using the associated Windows software, but not hardware switch.

inarush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
Not sure, but I wonder how can it has three modes if no BIOS switch.

Update: Just did some search, it seems this card switch mode by using the associated Windows software, but not hardware switch.
Thanks for your reply! Do you still think it's safe for me to try to tune its BIOS settings?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for your reply! Do you still think it's safe for me to try to tune its BIOS settings?

Should be safe if you only use PolarisBiosEditor.

Please make sure you test the setting (e.g. via Wattman in Windows), and only mod the ROM to that setting if the card can pass some stress tests.

Reactions: octoviaa

inarush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
Hey folks, just wondering if someone more experienced could help me out here.

Just a little context: I used a MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8G (https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/radeon-rx-580-gaming-x-8g/specification) to build a hackintosh machine in a rather small Node 202 case focusing on compactness and silence.

In the beginning, I was experiencing two issues with this graphics card: noise and temperature. Man, that fan was LOUD and the card was throttling all the time.

The first issue was remediated by replacing the original fans with two Noctua NF-F12. It sounds MUCH better now, even under high load. But the card is still throttling. Here's a screenshot of an Unigine Valley run:

unigine_valley.png

And it throttles real bad (down to 800 MHz) running Furmark. Is this benchmark any close to real world applications? ?

furmark.png

So, my goal here is to undervolt the card looking to trim down a few degrees. I am willing to sacrifice a few GPU MHz in this process.

Here's the original clock and voltage settings:

original_settings.png

What should I do first? Should I reduce the clocks and voltages? For which state? Only the 7th or all of them?

Here's a screenshot of the original BIOS settings, just in case it's useful:

PolarisBiosEditor.png

I am really open to any ideas here.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hey folks, just wondering if someone more experienced could help me out here.

Just a little context: I used a MSI RX 580 Gaming X 8G (https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/radeon-rx-580-gaming-x-8g/specification) to build a hackintosh machine in a rather small Node 202 case focusing on compactness and silence.

In the beginning, I was experiencing two issues with this graphics card: noise and temperature. Man, that fan was LOUD and the card was throttling all the time.

The first issue was remediated by replacing the original fans with two Noctua NF-F12. It sounds MUCH better now, even under high load. But the card is still throttling. Here's a screenshot of an Unigine Valley run:

View attachment 889651

And it throttles real bad (down to 800 MHz) running Furmark. Is this benchmark any close of real world applications? ?

View attachment 889652

So, my goal here is to undervolt the card looking to trim down a few degrees. I am willing to sacrifice a few GPU MHz in this process.

Here's the original clock and voltage settings:

View attachment 889653

What should I do first? Should I change reduce the clocks and voltages? For which state? Only the 7th or all of them?

Here's a screenshot of the original BIOS settings, just in case it's useful:

View attachment 889654

I am really open to any ideas here.

Try 1340MHz @1000mV in Wattman (change all voltage above 1000mV to 1000mV, and mod the stage 7 clock to 1340MHz.

If stable, you may use this settings. If not, either reduce the stage 6 and 7 clock speed until stable (e.g. to 1300MHz). Or increase voltage (e.g. 1010mV, if thermal capacity allow).

Furmark is way beyond normal usage, that's for stability test, not performance test. The card is expected to get into thermal throttling or power throttling. Don't worry it the GPU can't stay at max clock in Furmark.

inarush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
Try 1340MHz @1000mV in Wattman (change all voltage above 1000mV to 1000mV, and mod the stage 7 clock to 1340MHz.

If stable, you may use this settings. If not, either reduce the stage 6 and 7 clock speed until stable (e.g. to 1300MHz). Or increase voltage (e.g. 1010mV, if thermal capacity allow).

Furmark is way beyond normal usage, that's for stability test, not performance test. The card is expected to get into thermal throttling or power throttling. Don't worry it the GPU can't stay at max clock in Furmark.
Thanks a lot @h9826790 I am trying to find the sweet spot for my card. So far, I have been trying the following settings with apparent stability:

calibrating.png

Note that I tried to be conservative and even lowered the maximum clock from 1340 MHz like you suggested to 1300 MHz.

I used both Furmark and the Valley benchmark to make sure everything is running fine. I even let both of them running at the same time for half an hour to make sure the settings were stable lol.

Now, the question is: let's suppose I want to stick with the clocks and voltages above. How can I consolidate those settings in the BIOS? From you advanced guide, it looks like the only thing you did was to limit the maximum Vcore. I really want to go one step beyond and undervolt the earlier states as well.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot @h9826790 I am trying to find the sweet spot for my card. So far, I have been trying the following settings with apparent stability:

View attachment 889722

Note that I tried to be conservative and even lowered the maximum clock from 1340 MHz like you suggested to 1300 MHz.

I used both Furmark and the Valley benchmark to make sure everything is running fine. I even let both of them running at the same time for half an hour to make sure the settings were stable lol.

Now, the question is: let's suppose I want to stick with the clocks and voltages above. How can I consolidate those settings in the BIOS? From you advanced guide, it looks like the only thing you did was to limit the maximum Vcore. I really want to go one step beyond and undervolt the earlier states as well.

You can try to enter the exact voltage in PolarisBiosEditor. No guarantee can work.

But if I were you, I won't take that risk. Those lower stages doesn't really matter anyway, especially if the card isn't thermal throttling anymore, and able to stay at stage 7.

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
*** For info, this mod is NOT compatible with the OpenCore boot screen mod ***
As said in the OpenCore/HW acceleration thread, I found out about this issued after a bit of research and testing. Now I'm back on the original firmware that came with my Sapphire Pulse 8GB RX580 (first edition, the one blessed by Apple officially back in the days). I'm running the Pixlas mod, so I should be safe, right?

I saw that there were more recent ROMs out there for my GPU. Is there any point in flashing it with one of those? Or is it pointless?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
As said in the OpenCore/HW acceleration thread, I found out about this issued after a bit of research and testing. Now I'm back on the original firmware that came with my Sapphire Pulse 8GB RX580 (first edition, the one blessed by Apple officially back in the days). I'm running the Pixlas mod, so I should be safe, right?

I saw that there were more recent ROMs out there for my GPU. Is there any point in flashing it with one of those? Or is it pointless?
The original ROM is safe, just consume more power, and the card will run warmer.

Pixlas mod isn't required for RX580

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.