Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PepeC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2020
argentina
Hi there, i manage to resurrect a g4 quicksilver 867mhz with 2 80gb hds running Tiger.
Now, i have some sata initio 1622 card installed and 250gb hd conected to it with leopard 10.5.8 from a(nother one) dead G5.
On Tiger, all discs get properly mounted on desktop and running but i cannot manage to startup from the sata drive with leopard. I get a blue screen with nothing but the mouse pointer on it. Restarting w/option key shows the drive as bootable option.
If anyone has any idea about it... please...

Edit: Finally, i get results from the sata drive. The system was damaged and techtool reports invalid system packages plus lots of orphan nodes... so i rebuild the drive and reinstall Leopard, and done!
I think the problem was the G5 from it comes from. Memory fails can screw your whole drive, that's a fact.

Last edited:

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
I thought I remembered reading that G4s only boot from IDE bus(ses). I also can't get a SATA drive connected to SATA card to boot. But an IDE to SATA adapter boots just fine.
Maybe what really happened is that I couldn't get my SATA card flashed to allow booting???

Last edited:
Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
IDE to SATA also works great on my QS - I have an mSATA and a SATA spinner connected via adapters and they boot and read/write without any issues.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
With a pre-installed os? 10.4 or 10.5? think that I should i reinstall the system?

Not sure what you mean by pre-installed OS. The QS2002 came with 10.1 and OS 9.2 and by the time I got that SATA card, I was running Leopard. I honestly cant remember if SATA even existed yet when the QS2002 was released. It didn't show up in Mac's until the G5 came out which is when I bought both the SATA card and a 1.7Ghz dual CPU upgrade from OWC (that would crash unless it was clocked to 1.4).

I was wrong about the brand though, it popped in my head for some random reason last night, it wasn't an Initio, its a Seritek. I can only find a two channel PCI one on their website, so maybe mine isn't 4, but Im pretty sure I was using all 4 drive spots in it. I'd pull it out but its been in storage since it died ages ago hehe.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Quicksilvers and some DAs are problematical with SATA. The Sonnet aka SeriTek 1s2 works. Not sure if any others do. Other G4s boot fine with a number of Mac SATA cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.