Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackdown_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Hi everyone

Just wondering how people generally feel about/ what experience people have with using Sata to 6 pin y cables to run a graphics card?

I have access to an rx470 with 8 pin that has a tpd of over 150 so intend to use both the board 6 pins to run it. It'd be nice to be able to keep my 5770 in the machine for booting emergencies etc too and so was wondering if cables like the one above are considered to be safe enough.

Or would it be better to combine one of the motherboard 6 pins with the Sata for one GPU and then use the other 6 pin for the 5770 to spread the load differently?

Or are the Sata cables not really recommend at all?

Once again thanks for all the help everyone here provides.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
TBH, I wouldn't worry about the RX470's power consumption. It's 150W TDP, however, up to 75W from the slot already. Since it may not decided to draw all 75W from the slot (e.g. only 70W). Therefore, a 8pin is technically required to make it able to draw a bit more than 75W from the aux power (e.g. 80W in this case). The cMP is very capable on handling this kind of loading.

I personally will prefer to keep it simple, let the RX470 draw a bit more than 75W from one of the mini 6pin, rather than using some complicated cable combination.

Anyway, I did this test to shows what the cMP's mini 6 pin can deliver.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...or-approaching-silence.1982499/#post-23120938

Reactions: Jackdown_101

Jackdown_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for this. Interesting read. My concern with the RX470 stems from the fact that it's not the reference design which I'd be happy running off the 6 pin but the Sapphire 8GB model. This has an 8 pin connection and a stated tdp of 175 which I think probably pushes even your stated use of a six pin worryingly close to the 100 or so that you seemed to infer was probably comfortable.

Thanks again.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Quite a few 980Ti / TitanX user constantly allow their GPU to pull a bit more than 100W from a single mini 6pin. So far, no one report this action cause any permanent damage to the Mac Pro.

At the end, it's your comfortability. If you are not happy with that. Or the stress test shutdown your Mac straight away. Then go for the 2nd option.

Reactions: Jackdown_101

Jackdown_101

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks again. Like you said it's just about reassurance.

Does anyone know if the Sata adapters are any good? If I go that route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.