Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitanVex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I am trying to find the best way to save a map to my iPod Touch. I am going on vacation to Rome and want to have a map with me when I get there.

However, I am unsure as to how I should go about this. Obviously, Google Maps is an option, but I probably won't have an internet connection. Therefore, I thought about saving a high resolution photo with all of the city streets. This worked, except the iPod doesn't let me zoom in 100% of the way. It gets to a point where I can't zoom in anymore and I can't read the street names, even though I can read them when the picture is on my computer.

I was hoping there was a way to save a city map from Google or something, but that doesn't seem to exist. For example, if I just went to maps.google.com and searched for 'Rome,' I should be able to just save the Rome data into my iPod and have that with me without an internet connection.

Anyways, does anybody have any ideas as to how I could go about solving this problem? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you very much in advanced.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I've been succesful adding PDFs to iBooks and using that. You'll have to find quite a large one for the whole city. PDFs are also great for transit maps and smaller areas, like tours and such, if you can find them.

The App Store would be also be a good place too look. I'm sure there are offline travel apps for your destination.

Have a great trip!

TitanVex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I've been succesful adding PDFs to iBooks and using that. You'll have to find quite a large one for the whole city. PDFs are also great for transit maps and smaller areas, like tours and such, if you can find them.

The App Store would be also be a good place too look. I'm sure there are offline travel apps for your destination.

Have a great trip!

Thank you! That is great advice! Problem solved :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.