Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InsertCatchyNic

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2009
Is there a way for me to save my icon positions on my desktop? Every once in a while when I restart my computer my icons are auto sorted and I have to spend an eternity putting them back into their proper position. Is there an app out there that can save the current icon locations and then restore that if they get messed up somehow.

This has to also work with two displays.

When I was a windows user there is a great utility called Icon Restore, looking for something similar for the mac.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Try this

- Move com.apple.finder.plist in ~/Library/Preferences (put this location in Finder menu Go > Go to Folder) to the desktop
- Hold option key and right click Finder icon and Relaunch.

This will reset your desktop icons as well as Finder's other preferences, so if you want your preferences and icon positions back, move the plist file back and relaunch Finder again.

Then check out right click desktop and "Clean up by" and also Show view options (option key+J) to sort how you want the icons. You can also choose sort by none, like noteple suggested, and then select a group of icons and clean up by name.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.