Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SleepyMama04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
How can I limit the ability of my child to use her devices at 100% volume?

She’s has autism and socially appropriate volume levels are not something she cares about.

I know how to limit volume when she’s wearing her headphones but not how to limit the speaker volume across apps.

Any ideas? None of the apps that were created for this complaint have worked consistently for about 5 years. I’m open to anything! Every iPhone model seems to get louder and louder. Can the speaker be replaced with one that has a lower volume capacity? I know nothing about tech but I’m desperate.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
It seems you may be able to set the volume and disable the volume buttons through guided access.

If that doesn't work, you can put some clear tape over the bottom speaker. It will reduce the volume a little but may not be enough because the ear piece is also a speaker. It also reduces a lot of bass so it may sound a bit tinny.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
It seems you may be able to set the volume and disable the volume buttons through guided access.

If that doesn't work, you can put some clear tape over the bottom speaker. It will reduce the volume a little but may not be enough because the ear piece is also a speaker. It also reduces a lot of bass so it may sound a bit tinny.
Or even glue it a little to muffle sound. Sound extreme but why not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.