Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
hello all,

my friend has another question which is somewhat in relation to his previous question about DivX. When he downloads the movies and drags the folder into the downloader he uses (Azereus) it asks him where he wants to save it to. He doesnt know what program to save it to. Also when he selects 'open with' he assumed it would have to be opend with QuickTime Player, but before he presses enter to select it, it says 'it is not known if this application can open iTunes document files'. When did it become an iTunes document file?.. how can he get it so all of this will work.

Thanks everyonefor the help in advance..
Matt

Boelman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
I havent ever heard of this? The file should automatically open in what the type of program it was made with. If it is a mp3, it would normally open with quicktime unless itunes is the default player? which it normally isnt.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
ohh also, i burned the one movie that worked but it wont play on dvd players for tv or anything.. it only works on the computer and uses QuickTime, but it wont go fullscreen or anythinglike that.. Can i play it using that DVD player program that kind of looks like an iPod?

lpshean

macrumors regular
May 30, 2005
It's actually quite simple. All files are generally assigned to one particular program. You have mp3s which open up with iTunes by default, .txt with TextEdit, so on and so forth.

If you do want to change the programs used to open a file.

1) Right click (or control-click)
2) Select "Get Info"
3) When a small extension window pops up, just look up the "Open with" tab, and change the program used.

Note, you can also specify a particular program to open up a particular file everytime by clicking the "Change All" button. Eg, if u want mp3s to open up using Windows Media Player (god forbid. :p ) in the future... just select windows media player under the Open With tab, and then select Change All. Simple as that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.