Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viking23

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Scotland, UK
Since upgrading to Mojave I have had problems withExcel 2011 files which have VBA macros. The problem arises when the file is saved. After several seconds of the spinning beach ball the following message appears:

upload_2018-9-30_23-21-2.png

At this point it is necessary to select Cancel and the next message box appears:

upload_2018-9-30_23-22-4.png

It is then necessary to close the file and open the temporary document and give it a new name, something similar with say -1 does the trick. The file can then be save, opened and the macros are all intact and working.

Just thought I would share this with people in case anyone else is having a problem. I don't wish to upgrade to Office 2016 as Office 2019 is about to be released. However, I might stay with office 2011 for the time being.

I think there may also be a similar problem with some word documents, but haven't got round to testing this yet.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 54

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
If you get any glitches in office 2011 version 14.7.7 after upgrading to Mojave it may be worth installing the direct downloaded update over top of your final installed version of office 2011 version 14.7.7 to get it to work - there may have been a few files corrupted or changed during the OS update?.

Here is the link to the final MS 2011 update - Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.7.7 Update

Viking23

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Scotland, UK
Many thanks for the link. I have installed the update to make sure I had not already done so with auto update. However, it did not solve the problem. I have tracked down the problem to the fact that I used to use Excel on a windows PC before changing to iMac. Files previously created in Windows are the ones with the problem and my earlier solution works. Files created on the iMac do not present the problem. So I have archived the files created on Windows after I have renamed them. All now appears OK.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Glad you got it figured out !- yeah, the Mac versions have always kind of had issues with the macros translating from windows versions of excel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.