Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
I am selling my powerbook and want to save all my music from itunes onto dvds. I want to be able to use it again when i get my new mac and have access to my music on the pc but still keep the same playlists etc.

Can anyony help me out please?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Assuming you let iTunes organise your music files (check the Advanced section of the iTunes Preferences) then it should be a matter of making a copy of a folder named simply iTunes in your Music (or My Music on a PC) folder. Within this should lie the song files and the relevant data files to maintain playlists and play count information. :)

Remember to de-authorise any iTMS purchased songs too.

Once you get the new machine, tell iTunes to keep your files organised again and then put the iTunes folder back into the equivalent spot on the new machine and reopen iTunes. :)

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Okay how about accessing the songs on my pc in the mean time?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, that same folder can be used to replace your current PC's library. The only difference is that the PC keeps the iTunes folder in My Music by default whereas the Mac keeps it in Music. The good news is that the folder works just as well on either platform.

However, this method replaces the current library. If you just want to add these songs to your PC's current library then drag the iTunes folder you just saved to the open iTunes (app) window to import.

There's a better explanation of backing up libraries (using iPods) here by the way. Apple puts it far more succinctly than me. :p

mvelinder

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
I just copied a 19GB folder over to another machine and then pasted it back over on my newly reformatted Mini.

But that's Mac to Mac. Mac to Mac might allow for the .Mac Backup utility too.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It works PC-to-Mac and vice versa. I've done it many times. :)

The only issue is that you must keep the file structure of the music exactly the same otherwise you end up with corrupted links from iTunes and ultimately it loses where the song is such that it will not play. You don't actually lose the music but the solution of reimporting usually results in lost regular playlists (not smart playlists).

anjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
How about downloading a copy of what my ipod is like to my new itunes on my pc? Only thing is the ipods source is the powerbook that i am selling. Can this be done?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's possible to get the music from the iPod that way assuming the iPod is formatted for PC (enable hidden items) but not the playlist information as far as I know. It's best to follow the instructions outlined by Apple IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.