Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ercooo10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
hello, i am an apple user who’s using a iphone8.

my phone’s storage was almost full for months, so sometimes i used to have problems with it. a morning, it just got shut down by itself and i couldn not restart it again. so i talked to a expert(working in apple), and he told me that i have no other choice than resetting it.

i connected it to itunes and resetted. i tried to the saving data option but it didn’t work. so the phone is working right now, but all the photos are gone.

my question is, by any chance, do i got a way to save my old photos? some of them are really important for me and my family/friends.

i know the answer is probably no, but maybe iphone saves it to its storage or anything, i wanted to try my chance asking.

ps: they weren’t backed up from anywhere. only a few were on icloud (which i already saved)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you have quite a bit of money, there may be a chance and that would be through a data recovery service. We're talking thousands of dollars here - if they could do it at all.

All data on an Apple device is encrypted. This prevents recovery of data when a device is reset. That's what keeps you safe if someone else gets a hold of your device and you reset it remotely.

Being able to just easily recover data after a device has been reset would be a security problem.

Reactions: ercooo10

ercooo10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
oh, unfortunately i cannot afford such service since i’m 19 and living alone :(

so there isn’t a cheaper/free way, right?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
oh, unfortunately i cannot afford such service since i’m 19 and living alone :(

so there isn’t a cheaper/free way, right?
Again, if anyone could cheaply/free recover data from a reset iDevice, how secure would that be? Would you trust Apple to keep your data secure?

ercooo10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2022
Again, if anyone could cheaply/free recover data from a reset iDevice, how secure would that be? Would you trust Apple to keep your data secure?
ik ik, i’m just tryna find a way out. otherwise yeah you’re definitely right, that wouldn’t be safe for users.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
ik ik, i’m just tryna find a way out. otherwise yeah you’re definitely right, that wouldn’t be safe for users.
I understand. Going forward you may want to look at third party services or go all in on iCloud. I have a 2TB sub with iCloud, but I also use Dropbox and Google Photos. One way or the other I've got access to my photos.

In the case of Dropbox it's as simple as opening the app after I take pictures. Automatic Camera uploads back up the pics and they become immediately available to all my devices using Dropbox. Google Photos is similar.

Reactions: ercooo10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.