Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

And

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
Hi,

I have two minis, one early '09, one late '09. I set the volume on the menubar to about 50% then turn them off. Early '09 starts up with the volume at 50%, annoyingly late '09 is back to 100% and I'm deafened (via headphones...). Any ideas? Why won't the late '09 mac hold this sound setting? It seems to remember all the others.

cheers, a.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I doubt it's a "Mini issue". (I often find these model specific forums to be redundant, as many things that are posted relate to the OS or other apps.)

Try replacing these (especially the first one)
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemsound.plist
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist

Move the plist file to the Desktop.
Restart. This creates a new default plist.
Try out your sound controls again.
Better?

And

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
I doubt it's a "Mini issue". (I often find these model specific forums to be redundant, as many things that are posted relate to the OS or other apps.)

Try replacing these (especially the first one)
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemsound.plist
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.soundpref.plist

Move the plist file to the Desktop.
Restart. This creates a new default plist.
Try out your sound controls again.
Better?

Not better. I tried this but it didn't create new ones and the volume was still full blast on restart, so i put the old plist files back. Thanks for suggesting something though.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Ok, I thought that would be the trigger to create new plist files. I just tried something else. Instead of a Restart, go into System Preferences and open the Sound pane. That will do it. So, if you want to pull those out and try again...

And

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Ok, I thought that would be the trigger to create new plist files. I just tried something else. Instead of a Restart, go into System Preferences and open the Sound pane. That will do it. So, if you want to pull those out and try again...

You have hit the nail on the head now! Volume level is now remembered. I offer you my sincere gratitude, as do my ear drums! ;-) All the best, and.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.