Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Curly Howard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2015
I'm simply puzzled that people in the jailbreak community haven't learned that once your on a firmware you should stay there and here is why. I started following Brandon back when the iPhone 3GS was the thing, baby!!! and IOS 5.0.X was the coolest thing you could experience. Now jailbreaking was out long before that but by the time IOS 5 came out Jailbreak was to big to ignore and just watching Brandon of ( DailyiFix) on YouTube I along with a lot of you got HOOKED! Now all during this time Brandon would warn us that every time we chose to update our firmware that not only would we loose our ability to Jailbreak for the upcoming IOS update. But there was something more diabolical than we were ever to imagine with the new jailbreaks and that is this. Every time you jailbreak a new firmware you will loose a group of tweaks I mean a group. Simply said there are tweaks that worked on IOS 5 and IOS 6 that no longer work on IOS 7. And surely you have seen that tweaks in IOS 7 thru IOS 8.1.0 no longer work in IOS 8.1.2 And I would love to get an iPhone 6 but with the IOS 8.1.3 on up to the present 8.4 you wouldn't believe the number of tweaks that no longer work and the number of new developers that have tweaks that cause more crashing and disappointments in functionality than ever before in the history of Jay Freeman's Browser we've come to know and love as CYDIA!!! And with the 8.4.1 just down the road to block future Jailbreaks that means that there won't be another Jailbreak till IOS 9 and believe me you don't wanna wait that long. There is hope though over the horizon, and that's for everyone to stop now and stay on your present firmware and this will allow developers to catch up to you and your firmware. The days of redsnow and saving your SHSH Blobs are pretty much over unless your still running IOS 5.1.0 or below. But for IOS 5 thru IOS 8.1.2 there is a great recovery tool called SemiRestore. And I believe there is a version of SemiRestore for IOS 8.3 thru IOS 8.4 And this has helped me to maintain my IOS 8.1.2 jailbreak on my iPhone 5S and my IOS 5.1.1 on my iPhone 3GS. A lot of people will get their IPhones stuck in a loop or figure the only way to get their iPhones to recover is to plug it into iTunes and re inject the firmware because a hard reset just isn't doing the job. And what happens in a lot of cases is that there is a new Apple update and you are forced to loose your previous update and Jailbreak when you restore. So lets all work together to make Jailbreaking fun again and loose the fears of a loop by downloading SemiRestore. In fact don't ask me, ask Brandon of (DailyiFix) how you can maintain your Jailbreak. Ask him!!!

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
The fact that a number of tweaks will stop working is not a good enough reason not to try to arrive at the latest jailbreakable iOS release. For one thing, the OS gains functionality with each release. And also, a new jailbreak might not be available for 6 months. Or ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
Cydia is a much harder ballpark to play in than the App Store. If the average "nobody" developer puts his tweak on Cydia, he's only making money for maybe a week or two until it is either pirated or people stop caring. Most devs never update their tweaks because they have moved on or they just don't care. The big developers will always update, but those smaller tweaks never will. So waiting will do nothing. Already most of the tweaks people use are on 8.4 so there isn't much of a reason to downgrade your iOS.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OP, there is some truth to your words. I stress the word some.

However, I've been jailbreaking since iOS 5 and while what I stated above is true I find that there are new devs or new tweaks that come along that replace old tweaks.

Anchor instead of Gridlock for instance.

And then there are new tweaks that do things that even older firmwares can not.

Can you use CCSettings on iOS 6?

And as far as Semirestore…thanks. I'm aware it exists. Never needed it. I'm careful with what I install and if I have an issue there is Safe Mode, uninstalling and iCleaner Pro. iCleaner Pro has saved my ass more than once by allowing me to selectively disable tweaks (WITHOUT HAVING TO UNINSTALL THEM) to find the problem tweak.

So thanks. Your enthusiasm is noted but I'm pretty sure we've all got our own methods of "saving our jailbreak".

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
FlipOver is a terrific tweak (allows you to simply flip your iPhone over when you lay it on a surface to mute and/or sleep the device). Hasn't been updated since iOS6 though. So yes, I see the OP's point although the hassle in getting to it was a bit difficult.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OP has a point. But the problem here is that it's subject to change. One day it may be valid. The next a dev has refilled the hole, making the point invalid.

So I don't get the anguish and anxiety over this.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
When devs don't update it is ussually because a similar app does the same.

Just find a replacement for the functionality.

Sound advice from @MuscleNerd: always go to the highest jailbreakable firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.