Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I think even with future bandwidth needs, 2GB is quite a bit to run over 3G. To me it kind of seems like you're either using it as a primary Internet access or you're using a mobile device as a workstation.

Both are fine, but don't expect to pay the same rates as typical mobile users.

Given the choice of paying less for my typical usage or paying more for everyone else's usage, I'd be happy to do the former.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Well, I look at it as a massive price hike by AT&T.

Assuming the 5GB "unlimited" cap, that comes out to $6/GB.

The new plan is $12.50/GB, and at the rates they posted, 5GB of service would be $55/mo. Basically, they very nearly doubled their 3G rates.

What sounds more equitable would be to make the unofficial cap official, and charge for overusage. But they would not do that simply because it would not piss off enough customers.

The timing of this is damn suspicious. Apple must have done something to rattle AT&T and this is their get-even scheme before WWDC.

EDIT:

Looks like I was wrong.

$25 for 30 days or 2GB, whichever comes first. If you go over 2GB, you get hit with another $25 charge and the 30 day clock restarts. So AT&T basically has slightly more than doubled iPad data rates.

CactusHawk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
I'm on the iPad literally 12 hours a day and have used 115 MB on the unlimited plan. I stream TV or radio while at work.

iPad will always use wifi before 3G unless you disable wifi. I don't even notice the change from wifi to 3G when it happens... I have a hard time believing that I will exceed 2 GB except in the case of catastrophe. Wifi areas are everywhere! I'm in a smaller Iowa city with plenty of internets :p

I dislike being locked into one phone company just as much as anyone but with over 2 million iPads sold since launch I can clearly see why the move was made. I believe that those 2% of users exceeding 2GB really should pay premium prices for premium use.

I could not agree with the bolder statement more. That's why I was paying for unlimited rather than just the 250gig (premium price). :)

CactusHawk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Right, and this is the point (business-wise) of moving to these capped data plans. AT&T doesn't WANT customers like you because (and don't take it personally) you are a leech on their network. Your data use likely COSTS them money and they have little to gain by keeping you as a customer.

It's like opening up an all-you-can-eat buffet and saying "Hey, we know it's all you can eat, but we're going to limit you to 10 trips to the buffet." Most people won't care because they only make 2 or 3 trips, but there would be a few fatties who would raise hell. Guess what, they WANT those fatties to leave the restaurant.

Then don't open an all-you-can-eat!:mad:

CactusHawk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
The 3G ipad probably wouldn't have done as well if this plan to dramatically change the plans was known prior to launch.

I always thought that people were being ridiculous watching netflix movies on 3G though. Go home and watch a movie. I suspect that is part of the reason that they took unlimited out completely.

So you think it is ridiculous to enjoy the mobility of my...mobile device? My head is starting to hurt:D

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
3g a huge selling point on the Apple site...

"In the United States, 3G service is available through a breakthrough deal with AT&T. "

It doesn't say anything about how long this breakthrough deal would last let alone anything about a new model, but 35 days or so of availability is a little short don't you think?
You people are reading way too much into what was actually said.

Again... this time, what exactly is the "breakthrough" part of this deal? You believe it to be the specific pricing.... a more reasonable assumption is the "Pay as you Go" part of 3G access in the US. But in any case, there was no promise (explicit or implied) that the particular pricing would remain in effect until the next model iPad became available.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
You yanks and canadians seem to be getting ripped off with data costs. Here in Australia it's prepaid - no contract - here's our pricing: http://www.telstra.com.au/latest_offers/ipad/index.html We also don't use ancient technology such as EVDO /CDMA as these were shut down years ago and replaced with newer / faster NextG technology. Naturally the prices in the above are Australian Dollars.

We are charged 35 Canadian dollars for 5gb of data here in Canada. That stacks up pretty favourably to the plans you've linked to here.

Ours is prepaid and contract free as well.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I'm pissed, this was a selling point of the 3G ipad, regardless of how much I use, this effected sales of the thing.
to those with the 250mb plan, (if these new rules will apply to ipad June7), can't you just run your 250mb out overnight, and then upgrade to the unlimited. that's what you could do since the ipad 3g came out.
I'm confused about what applies to the iphone plans and what applies to ipad, is it on att site?

this is just jostling over control over data money/use as voice use diminishes and voice/minute pricing becomes increasingly irrelevant. I do think the gov is gonna increase their already numerous investigations of the US cell services.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
normwood said:
It is my understanding that if you are on the iPad unlimited plan before June 7th you are grandfathered in and can remain on the unlimited plan.

I just upgraded now from the 250 mb plan...which I had planned to do anyway.

This actually works for me. I will drop my iPhone down to the 200mb plan and save money there since I basically only use my iPhone for calls and texting since getting my 3G iPad.

Steve

Yep, I think you are right :)

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
just called att.
they told me that if I have the unlimited ipad plan I can transfer it to a new buyer if I sell the ipad. does that seem legit? do you think there will be a strong market for unlimited plan ipads??

or, he said if I buy a new ipad, I can just move the SIM card to it and keep the plan..

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
So if I have the unlimited plan now, can I switch back and forth between unlimited and the 200mb (250?) plan currently offered at will or am I only grandfathered in on the unlimited plan?

I was actually hoping to turn off data for the month of June while I travel...if I turn it off, can I turn it back on to unlimited when I get back?

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
NO, if you stop paying monthly for the Unlimited plan, it goes away forever!

my 'RARE" Unlimited iPad may go up on craigies.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
So if I have the unlimited plan now, can I switch back and forth between unlimited and the 200mb (250?) plan currently offered at will or am I only grandfathered in on the unlimited plan?

I was actually hoping to turn off data for the month of June while I travel...if I turn it off, can I turn it back on to unlimited when I get back?

Just curious as to why you wouldn't take it with you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.