Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Temperature and thermal output are two different things. Alder Lake has far higher thermal output per unit performance than the M1 Max.
That is not a good thing! Thermal output creates what-heat! So Scalderlake is going to throttle when it reaches high thermal output!?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yes adding more cores spreads the heat out better which is why an i5 would be better than an i7 at least since ice lake.

Adding more hotter higher frequency cores may get things done faster and may be slightly more efficient but if the job takes any time those extra toasty cores will throttle and the i7 will be slower than the i5 with less cores but doesn’t throttle as much.

Man, Intel just can’t win!

If you have the same workload, then more cores is more efficient as you spread the workload across more cores so that they all run at lower frequency. My workload is consistent over a long time. Running it with faster cores doesn't run it any faster.

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
No not really. Just tired of all the Intel comparisons and pissing contests by trolls.

Just thought I would have some fun and see what new arguments they will make about why Intel is superior to everything and now we are all stuck with crappy AS!???
Feel better now? ?

• Haha
Reactions: mi7chy

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
That is not a good thing! Thermal output creates what-heat! So Scalderlake is going to throttle when it reaches high thermal output!?
Yes. And it’s entirely possible for each chip to have the same temperature but for one to be generating significantly more heat. This is why the fans spin up more on Intel Macs than on ARM Macs, and Intel CPUs under load will generally require either a larger cooling system, or to run their cooling system harder (or both). The temperature debate is kind of silly because it ignores this fact. The temperature alone isn’t really that important, provided it’s under control by the cooling system.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
If Apple would just once, if only for proof of concept, show its silicon in AAA gaming action it would slam the door on this discussion. Apple’s efficiency could definitely push fps higher than the best Intel/nVidia/AMD combos and frames are all these idiots understand.
Those people will always dispute any sort of benchmark or video that shows Apple winning over their preferred GPU vendor. Their tribal to the point of completely of ignoring reality. Beyond that, they’ll simply refer to any upcoming GPU as the second coming and Apple will have to go back to drawing board. It’s pointless to try and have a discussion with them, your sanity isn’t worth the cost.

Reactions: JMacHack and pshufd

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
No not really. Just tired of all the Intel comparisons and pissing contests by trolls.

Just thought I would have some fun and see what new arguments they will make about why Intel is superior to everything and now we are all stuck with crappy AS!???
Based on the responses your getting, let me know once you have battered wife syndrome because these forums will do it to almost anyone. IMHO, it’s pointless to try and convince people that Apple Silicon is superior because you will be met with every abusive comeback, minimization, cut down, pretending you’re the crazy one, etc. known to mankind. I feel sorry for some of the people in these user’s orbit, because there is a lot of textbook narcissism going on here. You’ve been warned.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
7th gen pentium watching YouTube 4k content must be an amazing experience with all that acceleration built in the web browser.

I think an A12 iPhone processor would run that content way better???

Intel QuickSync is industry leading for hardware video decoding and encoding. Intel 7th gen has VP9 hardware decode for YouTube while latest M1 seems to still do software decoding of VP9 and AV1 so higher CPU utilization and battery draw.

1641834924493.png

Reactions: staypuftforums

mdlockyer

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
My M1 Pro 14” has never had the fans spin up since I bought it at launch and stays cool at all times. Whilst my old Intel MacBook you could feel it get hot where the CPU was.

TSMC’s N5P obviously contributes but ARM64 is just an incredible efficient architecture compared to the half century of baggage x86 is carrying.
I have the 32 core Max 16" and pretty much the same here. Not only does it not blast fans, it barely gets off of "idle" temps for 99% of tasks. The Apple Silicon chips aren't just more efficient, they have a totally different power/performance curve. It's very non-linear, with the CPU performing a LOT of work at or near the base line power draw. As an example, I do ML engineering, so I've played around running ML/Deep Learning workloads on here (all on CPU). Training neural nets is very heavy work for a CPU, and I can run a lot of jobs where the CPU is showing pretty much max usage and the temps will literally only rise 2-3 degrees. It's insane. And looking at the package power in ASITop shows only a marginal increase in wattage. Bought this machine on launch day and I've only had the fans turn on once... playing Borderlands 3 through Rosetta, which makes sense as that is stressing all these GPU cores + CPU pretty much to the maximum. Unless you are maxing GPU + CPU in unison the fans don't turn on, and the CPU temp will almost never get above high 50s.

What's even crazier, is after using this machine for normal productivity tasks for a day my peak package power was... 12W, with an average of 1.12W. There is simply no other chip out there that can do that.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2021
I think its pretty clear that Intel is really looking for the press that they can "beat" the performance of the M1. What's more concerning to me is that so many outlets pick this type of news up for the clickbait that it is, rather than digging into the facts and seeing the power & thermal issues.

While this type of competition is good overall, I personally don't see Intel beating Apple for at least 2-3 years for the desktop class (chips with integrated graphics, performance only, still will be power hungry), and likely more than that on the laptop architectures. At the end of the day, the biggest challenge Intel has to overcome is the fact that they don't have control over the power management, and are dependent on Microsoft and their OEM partners.

For Intel, this story has always been about raw performance. I honestly don't they prioritize the power/thermals.
Why would you be concerned with how "power hungry" a desktop chip is?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
Because power consumption will become more of an issue as time goes by (climate change, inflation, et al.) the more performance per watt matters in the desktop and laptop space where Intel is a dominant player. Performance per watt is going to become the primary driver in the server space for certain SaaS companies in the long term.

The fact is that Apple was the company that pushed Intel with regard to performance per watt and even Apple lost influence towards the end of their relationship. Intel hasn’t advanced their process technology in any meaningful way since the move to Broadwell (14nm). No matter how Intel and their apologists try to slice it, 10nm has been an epic disaster AMD the primary way Intel have improved performance has been to up clock speeds and power consumption. If this doesn’t illustrate how bad off x86 and is at the end of it lifetime, I don’t know what will.

Intel boosters can argue all day long about absolute performance versus Apple’s current approach with the M1/Pro/Max, but unless you’re in the very highest percentile of time critical work, performance per watt and power consumption are a big deal at the desktop level as well.

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
For me, I care about my electric bill and my energy usage. Higher PPW means lower power consumption in total, as well as lower costs on my cooling bill, as my devices aren't generating as much heat. Again, what's the use case?

If I'm gaming, you're right - I'm less concerned about how power hungry it is. But for 98% of the average computer user, it's not about maximum performance. It's about balance.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Intel QuickSync is industry leading for hardware video decoding and encoding. Intel 7th gen has VP9 hardware decode for YouTube while latest M1 seems to still do software decoding of VP9 and AV1 so higher CPU utilization and battery draw.

View attachment 1942004
M1 does support VP9 hardware decode, but not AV1 (at least as far as anybody knows, and it isn't in VideoToolbox either).

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
For me, I care about my electric bill and my energy usage. Higher PPW means lower power consumption in total, as well as lower costs on my cooling bill, as my devices aren't generating as much heat. Again, what's the use case?

If I'm gaming, you're right - I'm less concerned about how power hungry it is. But for 98% of the average computer user, it's not about maximum performance. It's about balance.
I like the fact that I can hook up my 13” M1 MacBook Pro to my Jackery Explorer 300 and charge it at 60w USB PD and then charge the Explorer 300 with the 100w solar panel I bought to go with it. The 13” MBP does most of my heavy lifting compute wise and I can effectively use it for free using the battery charger and solar panel. I’d like to see someone do that with their i9-12900K desktop, but I digress.

Reactions: darinzook

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

We have fairly high electricity prices (probably top 5 in the country) because of NIMBY - the gas pipeline company tried to add a pipeline to add to NG-fired capacity and towns opposed it so they cancelled the plans. So we have limited capacity for NG for heating and electric generation. And that means higher prices. We had a hot summer and fall and weren't able to put as much NG into storage for the winter. If things get too bad, then we get an LNG tanker from Russia.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I like the fact that I can hook up my 13” M1 MacBook Pro to my Jackery Explorer 300 and charge it at 60w USB PD and then charge the Explorer 300 with the 100w solar panel I bought to go with it. The 13” MBP does most of my heavy lifting compute wise and I can effectively use it for free using the battery charger and solar panel. I’d like to see someone do that with their i9-12900K desktop, but I digress.

They'd have to add a hand-crank for the i9.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
<snip>......There is NO ipc gain on these chips at all. 4th gen of 10nm as Ice Lake was 2nd, Tiger Lake 3rd and now Alderlake is 4th.....</snip>

<snip>........So Intel may be able to match or beat AMD or M1 Pro/Max but it comes at a cost and they can only do it in short bursts and not under heavy sustained loads unless it has a liquid cooler!! ......</snip>
Well, here is an article that talks about the IPC gains of the new mobile Alder Lake-H (among other things). https://www.pcworld.com/article/560...bile-core-as-best-mobile-gaming-platform.html

Not that I am implying or stating that Alder Lake-H is better than the M1 Max/Pro, it doesn't really matter if Intel were to suddenly launch a chip that in synthetic benchmarks beats Apple. Load up Final cut, and watch those media encode engines run laps around the Intel chip in a "comparable" encoding session. The "special sauce" of the Apple SOC is not the ARM cores, or even the GPU cores that people like to talk about, it is the synergy between all of the various components of it. Don't forget an SOC (System On a Chip) is a bunch separate components that normally are individual add-in PCBs. I think Apple is going to surprise everyone (at least under Apple controlled OS's) and do things that just won't be possible on a consumer Intel based laptop computer. Just wait, the best has yet to come!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Feel better now? ?
Yes! But the latest comments are not even about how great Scalderlake is!

Tell me the Huuge ipc gains, the improved performance and higher efficiency due to the new big little scheduling by Windows! Can’t wait to see how incredible Windows will handle everything!

Reactions: fourthtunz

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Well, here is an article that talks about the IPC gains of the new mobile Alder Lake-H (among other things). https://www.pcworld.com/article/560...bile-core-as-best-mobile-gaming-platform.html

Not that I am implying or stating that Alder Lake-H is better than the M1 Max/Pro, it doesn't really matter if Intel were to suddenly launch a chip that in synthetic benchmarks beats Apple. Load up Final cut, and watch those media encode engines run laps around the Intel chip in a "comparable" encoding session. The "special sauce" of the Apple SOC is not the ARM cores, or even the GPU cores that people like to talk about, it is the synergy between all of the various components of it. Don't forget an SOC (System On a Chip) is a bunch separate components that normally are individual add-in PCBs. I think Apple is going to surprise everyone (at least under Apple controlled OS's) and do things that just won't be possible on a consumer Intel based laptop computer. Just wait, the best has yet to come!

My point about ipc is that whatever process 7 is it is not a true 7nm like TSMC.

I have said the unification of ram, storage, and gpu makes these chips behave very different than Intel or AMD.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I have the 32 core Max 16" and pretty much the same here. Not only does it not blast fans, it barely gets off of "idle" temps for 99% of tasks. The Apple Silicon chips aren't just more efficient, they have a totally different power/performance curve. It's very non-linear, with the CPU performing a LOT of work at or near the base line power draw. As an example, I do ML engineering, so I've played around running ML/Deep Learning workloads on here (all on CPU). Training neural nets is very heavy work for a CPU, and I can run a lot of jobs where the CPU is showing pretty much max usage and the temps will literally only rise 2-3 degrees. It's insane. And looking at the package power in ASITop shows only a marginal increase in wattage. Bought this machine on launch day and I've only had the fans turn on once... playing Borderlands 3 through Rosetta, which makes sense as that is stressing all these GPU cores + CPU pretty much to the maximum. Unless you are maxing GPU + CPU in unison the fans don't turn on, and the CPU temp will almost never get above high 50s.

What's even crazier, is after using this machine for normal productivity tasks for a day my peak package power was... 12W, with an average of 1.12W. There is simply no other chip out there that can do that.

yes, it sounds like you dont stress the machine so it won't get hot or fans come on.

I have a 14" MBP M1 Max 64gb and have the fans come on quite a lot, and it does get hot. I guess it just depends what you use it for.
My partner has a Surface Book 3 and her fans barely ever come on. Probably because she is not stressing the machine at all......

All anecdotal as usual.

I will say though that my M is certainly running a lot cooler than the 2019 16" intel I9 MBP.

Reactions: fourthtunz

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Really? What if you run servers? Electricity isn’t free and the more desktop you have the more your bill.

For one single device it may not mean that much but more electricity usually means more heat and that means bring out the Marshmallows cause it is roasting time and throttle time!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
yes, it sounds like you dont stress the machine so it won't get hot or fans come on.

I have a 14" MBP M1 Max 64gb and have the fans come on quite a lot, and it does get hot. I guess it just depends what you use it for.
My partner has a Surface Book 3 and her fans barely ever come on. Probably because she is not stressing the machine at all......

All anecdotal as usual.

I will say though that my M is certainly running a lot cooler than the 2019 16" intel I9 MBP.
No one said you can’t run the M1 pro or max hard enough that they don’t get warm.

Does your 14” MBP throttle?? I bet no matter what you do it won’t and that is where the magic is.

All processors produce waste/heat but how much heat and how it affects the performance of the processor are key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.