Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scarrz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
I have a 13" mbp (2016) which is in need of a new battery due to the current one swelling and causing the bottom case to bow out and Apple want cover the costs. So rather than fork out $200, I thought this might be a good time to possibly make the switch to only using my 12.9" Ipad Pro. I have found that for my everday tasks I simply use email and browsing along with scanning documents/receipts from an Epson ES200 document scanner to my MBP. I currently use eagle filer which works great, but I could get by with just using IOS Files app (or other) and OCR where I could just search for docs.

With that long winded background has anyone else used or currently using a scanner (possibly wifi) where you can scan docs directly to the Ipad? I'm not sure that the ES200 scanner would work if you used a USBC hub and scanned directly to the iPad.

Any advice on document management, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I have a 13" mbp (2016) which is in need of a new battery due to the current one swelling and causing the bottom case to bow out and Apple want cover the costs. So rather than fork out $200, I thought this might be a good time to possibly make the switch to only using my 12.9" Ipad Pro. I have found that for my everday tasks I simply use email and browsing along with scanning documents/receipts from an Epson ES200 document scanner to my MBP. I currently use eagle filer which works great, but I could get by with just using IOS Files app (or other) and OCR where I could just search for docs.

With that long winded background has anyone else used or currently using a scanner (possibly wifi) where you can scan docs directly to the Ipad? I'm not sure that the ES200 scanner would work if you used a USBC hub and scanned directly to the iPad.

I personally have gone the cheapo route. I had a 'all in one' that went belly up, so in a pinch a I got a brother laser printer for $50 on sale. Which means of course no scanner on it. So I've had to adjust to just using the 'scanner' of sorts in the Notes app, which allows you to scan documents, then do what you want with them in other apps or print.

Not sure if that helps.

Lisat78

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2015
There’s plenty of scanner apps for the iPad itself? Many of those do OCR too. Once upon a time I would have said use DEVONthink to organise your pdfs, but now I’m not sure it’s worth it, given the tagging etc built into the Files app. The exception is if you’re wanting to be able to search the contents of the pdfs—then yes, DT to Go is still a good option.

Reactions: scarrz

scarrz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Thanks. yes I have scanner pro And it works quite well. But I still think sometimes due to the lighting etc. from your phone the “scans” aren’t always the best. But that being said it’s certainly a better route financially.

I was actually wondering about Devon think to go and I would certainly like the ability to be able to search the contents inside the documents. I did notice it looks like that only the Mac OSX version allows full OCR inside the document?

https://www.devontechnologies.com/blog/tag:paperless

Anybody comment on this ?

Really appreciate the tip.

There’s plenty of scanner apps for the iPad itself? Many of those do OCR too. Once upon a time I would have said use DEVONthink to organise your pdfs, but now I’m not sure it’s worth it, given the tagging etc built into the Files app. The exception is if you’re wanting to be able to search the contents of the pdfs—then yes, DT to Go is still a good option.

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

The iPad Pro would probably suit you better.

Reactions: scarrz

liseld1990

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2020
There is a great advice for any kind of document management related concerns, you should check your own and take advantage of that document management service.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I was actually wondering about Devon think to go and I would certainly like the ability to be able to search the contents inside the documents.

Haven't used the IOS version of DevonThink, but the Mac version is great. A Fuji Snapscan scanner just flies through documents with double sided scans when needed. Files are automatically given titles with an embedded date. If a date is detected in the document that is used, otherwise it uses the scan date. Makes its best guess from document content as to the title. File is then automatically indexed for subsequent searches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.