Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I do?

• Install on both devices

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Install on iPhone 5C (most used device)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Install on iPad mini (less used device)

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters

cammyg123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2013
United States
Looked a lot into iOS 8 in the recent days, and to be honest I am very scared to get it.

Right now, my iOS devices that haven't been retired are my iPad mini (64 gb) and my iPhone 5C (32 GB). Both devices running iOS 7.1.2. Performance is alright on both devices, not amazing.

My dilemma is that, I feel like if I download iOS 8 upon release, I'm not sure if I'm going to download something that uses so much of the devices resources, for features I feel I mostly won't use, if ever.

Anyone want to let me know what they think about this? Should I be that worried? All thoughts are helpful. Thanks everyone :)

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
Looked a lot into iOS 8 in the recent days, and to be honest I am very scared to get it.

Right now, my iOS devices that haven't been retired are my iPad mini (64 gb) and my iPhone 5C (32 GB). Both devices running iOS 7.1.2. Performance is alright on both devices, not amazing.

My dilemma is that, I feel like if I download iOS 8 upon release, I'm not sure if I'm going to download something that uses so much of the devices resources, for features I feel I mostly won't use, if ever.

Anyone want to let me know what they think about this? Should I be that worried? All thoughts are helpful. Thanks everyone :)

I'd say update really quickly, test it out, and if it sucks go back to iOS 7. You will probably have a little time before Apple stops signing 7! Or just download it on one of your devices and if you hate it then at least you still have one running iOS 7

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Actually performance on iPhone 5C with iOS 8 is very good. I am not saying it is buttery smooth, but smooth. I have not yet found major slow down compare with iOS 7 just yet. But original iPad mini does suffer quite lot.

amseven

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
For what its worth I have ios8 GM on my iPhone 5S daily driver and have not had any problems. Its run everything smooth as ios7.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I have iOS 8 GM on,y iPad Air and iPhone 5s and I love it. Same look as 7 but it's so refined and smooth. Nothing to be afraid of.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have iOS 7.1.2 on my iPhone 5c and I think it's great. Even after all the junk my work put on it, still running great. Maybe do a clean install on iOS 8?

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I am also concerned about iOS 8 on my iPhone 5. I've been jaded by a bad experience with Mavericks and think I may skip iOS 8 until there are definite reports on how it works on the 5.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
From what I've read, the 5s had a single core score of 1407 on iOS 7.1, and a score of 1410 on iOS 8 GM. And the performance is great, if not better on my 5s running iOS 8 gm. Not sure how it'll run on older devices, but it's fine on my iPad 2.

Don't be scared.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'd say update really quickly, test it out, and if it sucks go back to iOS 7. You will probably have a little time before Apple stops signing 7! Or just download it on one of your devices and if you hate it then at least you still have one running iOS 7

You can't downgrade GM seed.

drogba

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014
I'm holding off on it for awhile. I've never seen an iOS update that didn't have a month or longer period of glitches and issues that I hear people complaining about to no end. I waited a long while to switch from 6 to 7 so I can wait awhile on getting the 8. You're not alone.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
It's running buttery smooth on my iPhone 5, same basic hardware as the 5C. I am not sure though if I would put it on a non-retina iPad mini though, I mean, that was slow enough on iOS 7.

adm58

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Using the GM on my 5S and it's a little rough around the edges, but no show stoppers. I'd say more polished than 7.0.4, but less polished than 7.1. I've noticed a small hit to battery life compared to 7.1.2. Surely it will get more polished as 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 roll around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.