Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
My setup is pretty scatter right now.

I have wiz smart lights that is wiz app controlled. I use these to control outdoor lights for security.
Nest thermostat with 2 remote sensors. Pretty happy with this thermostat. Five nest smoke detectors.
Homekit plug in my garage (to turn off garage access) with iPad Pro as the controller for automation.
Rachio sprinkler controller.

I just bought a ring alarm but I don't like ring cameras because it features no local storage and having to pay a monthly payment for storage. So I would probably go with another set up for this lol. I believe Arlo is a good option. I'm also looking for a garage door opener and I think Ring works with chamberlain and so will HomeKit.

I'm searching for local storage cameras and front door keypads.

It seems to me this is such an early tech that nothing is perfect right now. Everything has pros and cons.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It’s only scattered because you chose it that way. I have everything controlled in HomeKit and Siri and working in perfect harmony. That’s the point of these platforms- HomeKit, works with Google, Alexa, SmartThings... to put everything under one roof but it’s up to you to make that happen with the products you purchase. The major players are working on a program called CHOIP and they’re supposed to come together but who knows when that will be and if hardware will have to be updated to benefit from it.

There is also HOOBS and Homebridge will will bring all your products together under HomeKit. It requires some knowledge in coding but HOOBS is more user friendly as Homebridge is pre-installed.

Reactions: FHoff

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Ya of course I’m not trying to blame it on anyone. I just don’t find one platform that solves what I want. I would like better Apple HomeKit integration since I’m all into the Apple eco system but I like my nest thermostat and smoke detectors. I’ve had nest for close to 4 years now. Same thing with the ring alarm. I bought that because they’re coming out with the indoor camera drone that’s connected to the ring alarm. But again integration with HomeKit isn’t possible which I wish it was. Where is the HomeKit security drone. Same with cameras I think arlo has on site storage for camera footage. It’s just hard finding something that ticks off all the boxes.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
HomeKit security drone has to be the last thing I could ever want. That just seems creepy and scary. But other than that, give homebridge a look. It will allow you to hook a lot of those products you mention into HomeKit. I currently have homebridge setup on an old PC and it allows my Ring doorbell and backdoor camera into HomeKit as well as my MyQ garage door opener. Works really well.

You're right though. There really isnt a great solution for the common person at this point. Everything requires some background knowledge of these things.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ya of course I’m not trying to blame it on anyone. I just don’t find one platform that solves what I want. I would like better Apple HomeKit integration since I’m all into the Apple eco system but I like my nest thermostat and smoke detectors. I’ve had nest for close to 4 years now. Same thing with the ring alarm. I bought that because they’re coming out with the indoor camera drone that’s connected to the ring alarm. But again integration with HomeKit isn’t possible which I wish it was. Where is the HomeKit security drone. Same with cameras I think arlo has on site storage for camera footage. It’s just hard finding something that ticks off all the boxes.
To each their own of course. The drone camera admittedly seems like a cool idea but never would I allow Amazon to have that kind of freedom in my home lol.

If you would like to get your Nest products in HomeKit, the Starling Hub is a fantastic plug and play solution. I have a Nest Hello and four Nest Protects running flawlessly in HomeKit.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Oh really starling hub that’s a good solution. Thanks! I’d like to tie in as many things to HomeKit if possible.

And to add to the drone thing it’ll only deploy if you either issue a command (check the stove) or the ring alarm is tripped. Pretty cool. The camera is always covered when it’s docked. I for one don’t want cameras that are always recording in my home but I’m down with a drone. My dogs will love it!

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
As mentioned above, Hoobs makes installing a full Homebridge as easy as Starling, and has the benefit of working with more than just Nest. Both Hoobs and Starling are really pre-packaged Homebridge solutions. We have our Nest, our solar array controller, our older video cameras, and our SleepIQ bed running through Hoobs. Everything else supports Homekit natively, although our LG TV support sucks so I might see if it works better through a Homebridge plugin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.