Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My wife is out of the country for 5 months so I took my iPod Nano 7th back for running. I went for a run for 20 minutes with it today and the battery was near zero at the end so I called the local Battery Plus store and they said that they don't do iPods anymore. So I tried to schedule a Genius Bar appointment for battery service and was amazed that they will do it.

It's probably $59 but I will be happy to use it while my wife is gone and then she will be very pleased that it holds a longer charge. I like the iPod nano for running so that I don't have to carry a device while getting the best reception from Bluetooth.

Reactions: msackey

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Definitely check how much the replacement is first: 7th gen nanos can be found on eBay in working order (obviously without a new battery, but one that works), for about $50-80 right now. Might be a better option depending on what they charge.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Definitely check how much the replacement is first: 7th gen nanos can be found on eBay in working order (obviously without a new battery, but one that works), for about $50-80 right now. Might be a better option depending on what they charge.

My wife would be a lot happier with a new battery on "her" iPod nano when she gets back. So I'm going to get the battery replaced, use it while she is gone and then she gets it back and it's a lot better. I'm okay with $59. If it's less, and I do recall Apple dropping battery service prices for some things, then that's fine too.

• Love
Reactions: addamas and Slix

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Keep in mind they’re just going to swap the device out, they don’t repair in store.

Reactions: Slix

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Keep in mind they’re just going to swap the device out, they don’t repair in store.

I will ask them about this. They haven't sold these in a long time and there are no iPods at all in the refurb store. My local store has done all of my battery and motherboard replacements going back to about 2011. They seem to staff the repair part of the store for at least two shifts.

They've always explained the proposed repair to me in the past too.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
They may actually send it in, given the age of the product. It’s possible they’ll have one on hand to swap, but if they do send it in you should have it back in 3-5 business days.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
They may actually send it in, given the age of the product. It’s possible they’ll have one on hand to swap, but if they do send it in you should have it back in 3-5 business days.

All of my repairs for the past decade have been in house. When they didn't have something, they ordered the item and fixed it in the store.

These things came in a crapload of colors so I doubt that they have any on hand in the store.

At any rate I'll find out in four hours.

Reactions: msackey

pshufd

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
They couldn't do anything for me. I asked why I was able to schedule an appointment for battery service if it wasn't available and the tech said that she didn't know. So potential solutions are to replace it myself or jury-rig something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.