Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eN0ch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Crookwell NSW Australia
For quite a while I've had my computer doing a nightly unattended restart, using a schedule in Energy Saver prefs. This means it's all logged-in (including several login items) and ready for the start of the day. It seems to have worked well as a strategy for keeping the system running well.

Having now upgraded to a new M1 iMac and Monterey I've taken on the recommended security settings, including disabling automatic login. I'm presuming that this will put an end to my overnight restart since I won't be there to unlock the screen. Would this be correct?

If so, is there any way around this so my login items can can all be done unattended? e.g. any script or whatever that would somehow automate the screen unlock just for that one time in the day. Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Why not just shut it down at night, and then, press the power on button in the morning....?
(been doing that with my Macs for 35 years now)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, there is no real need to restart your Mac overnight all the time. I am guessing you are an old Windows user? MacOS is very efficient in making use of managing system resources and applications. Unless you are doing system updates or some other necessary procedure that requires a system reboot, there is no reason not to leave the iMac running all the time, apart from shutting down during storms etc.

eN0ch

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Crookwell NSW Australia
Thanks. Actually I'm a mac purist, never tainted by the evil empire ?. But I've found that assorted mysterious buggy behaviours take over often enough to be a pain. And rebooting seems to fix a lot of them. Plus there do seem to be a range of hot opinions among macsters on certain subjects, this being among them ?.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.