Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Schmigadoon! is Apple TV+'s latest musical comedy series with 89% Rotten Tomatoes and 73 Metacritic scores, even higher than Ted Lasso.

Keegan-Michael Key (MadTV, Key & Peele, Keanu) plays Josh, a stoic silent type doctor, a hater of musicals. Cecily Strong (Saturday Night Live, Ghostbusters (2016)) plays Melissa, a doctor who loves musicals. She arranges a backpacking trip to reinvigorate their relationship. They discover a magical town named Schmigadoon, where everyone is living in a studio musical from the golden age. Josh and Melissa soon discover that they can't leave Schmigadoon until they find true love.

The fact that Josh hates musicals make this series work for both fans and haters of musicals. He is essentially Phil Connors (Bill Murray) from Groundhog Day.

The series also stars Saturday Night Live veterans Fred Armisen (Anchorman, Portlandia) and Martin Short (Three Amigos, Father of the Bride (1991), Mars Attacks!, The Morning Show), Broadway musicals veterans Kristin Chenoweth (Pushing Daisies, Glee) and Aaron Tveit, Dove Cameron, Alan Cumming (Emma (1996), GoldenEye, and Spy Kids), and Jane Krakowski (Ally McBeal, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Dickinson).

P.S. What is corn pudding?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I watched the 3rd episode "Cross That Bridge" ahead of Ted Lasso. Another solid but not spectacular episode that begins with a mouthwatering and artery-busting breakfast smorgasbord of bacons and... McGriddles?

On this episode, Melissa and Josh's flaws become more self-evident. They are both self centered, unable to empathize. Schmigadoon's artificial, dream-like setting allows them to liberate their id.

P.S. Some of the biggest jokes on this episodes is spoiled by the official trailer.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014
It’s been a little bit slow to start for me, but I still enjoy it. Looking forward to Jane Krakowski showing up and some Kristin singing.

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
I am generally not into musicals, but the satirical nature alleviates that for me. I heard nothing about this before jumping in, just saw it on the ATV channel and decided to give it a whirl. Honestly, really enjoying it. Like everything on ATV the production values seem top notch too.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I am generally not into musicals, but the satirical nature alleviates that for me. I heard nothing about this before jumping in, just saw it on the ATV channel and decided to give it a whirl. Honestly, really enjoying it. Like everything on ATV the production values seem top notch too.

Yeah, not a fan of the musical genre... thought I'd give it a go... found it overwhelmingly "yawn".

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
The 4th episode "Suddenly" offers many clues as to what may happen.
  • Mildred (Kristin Chenoweth) is against any changes that would topple law and order. She reminds me of Pleasantville, a movie where folks live in 1950s TV sitcom with 1950s values. I suspect she is a witch responsible for creating the town. To reverse the spell, one of the couples has to find true love and cross the bridge.
  • Mayor Menlove (Alan Cummings) and Reverend Layton (Fred Armisen) are one of the couples that may cross the bridge. I don't think Layton is gay, so this maybe unrequited love.
  • Melissa (Cecily Strong) and Doc Jorge (Jaime Camil) are weakest of the three candidates. I think Melissa is more enamored by Jorge's good looks and transformation more than anything. In other words, Jorge is her idealized projection of Josh.
  • Josh (Keegan-Michael Key) and Emma (Ariana DeBose) are strong possibilities. Their chemistry is certainly strongest of the bunch. Josh singing and dancing would be very dramatic.
  • But is Emma also Josh's idealized projection of Melissa? If true, Josh and Melissa's realization could possibly bring the couple back together.
  • P.S. We finally get to "see" Pete. Perhaps we will get to see Jane Krakowski's character next week?

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
The 4th episode "Suddenly" offers many clues as to what may happen.
  • Mildred (Kristin Chenoweth) is against any changes that would topple law and order. She reminds me of Pleasantville, a movie where folks live in 1950s TV sitcom with 1950s values. I suspect she is a witch responsible for creating the town. To reverse the spell, one of the couples has to find true love and cross the bridge.
  • Mayor Menlove (Alan Cummings) and Reverend Layton (Fred Armisen) are one of the couples that may cross the bridge. I don't think Layton is gay, so this maybe unrequited love.
  • Melissa (Cecily Strong) and Doc Jorge (Jaime Camil) are weakest of the three candidates. I think Melissa is more enamored by Jorge's good looks and transformation more than anything. In other words, Jorge is her idealized projection of Josh.
  • Josh (Keegan-Michael Key) and Emma (Ariana DeBose) are strong possibilities. Their chemistry is certainly strongest of the bunch. Josh singing and dancing would be very dramatic.
  • But is Emma also Josh's idealized projection of Melissa? If true, Josh and Melissa's realization could possibly bring the couple back together.
  • P.S. We finally get to "see" Pete. Perhaps we will get to see Jane Krakowski's character next week?

Pete is seen in the first episode. He’s not the first Schmigadoon character we see but he’s the first to get a shot on just himself, the fourth to speak, and the first to be named.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Perhaps... but where does it go from here?

Spoilers but… we don’t see them cross the bridge. They get half way across, see the real world again because it’s true love, decide they like Schmigadoon better and turn around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.