Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several sites are pointing to this local news story about Greene County Schools trading in their laptops early to Apple to get all new laptops in early January.

At a special meeting held Monday night at the Greene County Board of Commissioners meeting, the Greene County Board of Education voted to refinance its lease from Apple Computers. The school system will sell its 2,041 existing laptops to MacWorld [sic] before the company announces its new product lines Jan. 9, 2006.

Some interpret this as the school board will be receiving newly updated iBooks/PowerBooks, but a more likely explanation appears to be that they will receive the current top-of-the-line iBooks/PowerBooks.

There is also some concern that later updates could cause some problems:

The threat of bugs in newer-model computers the schools would have to purchase later in the year also made Greene County Schools move early to refresh laptops.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Cool. :p At least it's not Dells.

Will it be like Henrico County when they decide to sell the new laptops in 3 years?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
iBooks being heavily promoted down here too. First Apple Australia store promotions I've ever seen. Definitely something in the wind.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
More likely they are getting the "old" G4 models at a nice educational discount from Apple. However, this does help add water to the rumor that Apple will be coming out with new laptops very soon. At this point I really don't consider it a rumor... I think we can all agree that we'll be seeing at least one model of Intel based laptop from Apple this January.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
good news for those kids
so very fortunate for them to get cool new ibook

also tell us that intel ibook are on the way yay

i wish my school would buy us all ibook
we just have our junk custom built P4 1.2ghz pc (half those) the other half are really old pcs that are even slower
these kid reall got it nice, so what if there are a few tech glitches

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
It certainly feels like a "sell of the old to make room for the new" kind of ploy. Regardless, I'm sure there are some happy students there. :D

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Randall said:
More likely they are getting the "old" G4 models at a nice educational discount from Apple. However, this does help add water to the rumor that Apple will be coming out with new laptops very soon. At this point I really don't consider it a rumor... I think we can all agree that we'll be seeing at least one model of Intel based laptop from Apple this January.

Given that the "new Mac mini" (faster CPU, better GPU with twice as much VRAM) was never officially announced by Apple, I'd add an Intel-powered Mac mini to that laptop list (and as far as space and heat limitations go, the Mac mini might just as well be a laptop, from a design point of view).

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Yvan256 said:
Given that the "new Mac mini" (faster CPU, better GPU with twice as much VRAM) was never officially announced by Apple, I'd add an Intel-powered Mac mini to that laptop list (and as far as space and heat limitations go, the Mac mini might just as well be a laptop, from a design point of view).

Yeah, but it is hard to carry a mini, display, keyboard, and mouse around the library. :p

I know my school is starting to upgrade all there stuff. Last year they moved out the teachers iMacs for all new eMacs then this year they replaced the old iMacs in the digital photography and videography room with mac minis and planar displays. I have yet to check and see if these are the "new revision" minis but i will.

Probably the next thting on thst list at our school is laptops also. not sure the exact ones that are in the lab but they need new batteries and keyboards on some. The high school will probably get new ones and then old ones will go to the middle school or elementary.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Randall said:
Why? Because every rumor site says so?

Apple hasn't said anything on the subject, so what makes you think this is more reliable than a rumor?

Rumor doesn't mean "false", but it does mean speculation in the absence of any official announcement or hard facts, which is absolutely what you're describing.

boombashi

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2005
Macrumors said:
Some interpret this as the school board will be receiving newly updated iBooks/PowerBooks, but a more likely explanation appears to be that they will receive the current top-of-the-line iBooks/PowerBooks.

Yes, but who cares what the school gets, it's what we are getting that we care about. The article also says "When they update their product lines"... we shall see. Only a select few behind some thick steal doors that haven't seen sunlight in 6 months know the REAL truth ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Perhaps all schools should lease their computers. That would let them keep the eqiupment up-to-date and keep the budget steady from year to year.

newwavedave

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2004
Tampa, FL
My fault

Yeah, I sent this story to MacRumors after reading about it on MacWorld UK. After reading the story again, it seems like the school is looking to update it's laptops before an Intel version is released.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
shamino said:
Why? Because every rumor site says so?

Apple hasn't said anything on the subject, so what makes you think this is more reliable than a rumor?

Rumor doesn't mean "false", but it does mean speculation in the absence of any official announcement or hard facts, which is absolutely what you're describing.
Sure, if you like splitting hairs, then it's still a rumor. It's still in the eye of the beholder though, depending on what you interpret "Reliable Sources" to be. Regardless of being a rumor or not, there is still a rather large buzz circulating that Apple will have at least one model of Intel based laptop available for MWSF '06. Can you give me something short of "Apple didn't confirm it" that points to the contrary? When has Apple ever confirmed anything before the fact? And how many times have rumors on this site that were this large been proven true? I don't know all the answers to these questions, but I do know one thing, and that is Intel laptops at MWSF '06. :D

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Randall said:
Sure, if you like splitting hairs, then it's still a rumor. It's still in the eye of the beholder though, depending on what you interpret "Reliable Sources" to be. Regardless of being a rumor or not, there is still a rather large buzz circulating that Apple will have at least one model of Intel based laptop available for MWSF '06. Can you give me something short of "Apple didn't confirm it" that points to the contrary? When has Apple ever confirmed anything before the fact? And how many times have rumors on this site that were this large been proven true? I don't know all the answers to these questions, but I do know one thing, and that is Intel laptops at MWSF '06. :D
There have been plenty of hot rumors that turned out to be false as well.

Like G5 PowerBooks and 3GHz PowerMacs.

The fact that lots of people loudly say that they want something does not mean it's going to happen.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Randall said:

If they're getting the old (current) G4 iBooks, then it may be a way for Apple to clear out their inventory to make room for the new Intel iBooks/PowerBooks.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
shamino said:
There have been plenty of hot rumors that turned out to be false as well.

Like G5 PowerBooks and 3GHz PowerMacs.

The fact that lots of people loudly say that they want something does not mean it's going to happen.
G5 Powerbooks and 3GHs Powermacs weren't a rumor, they were a blaintent lie. LOL :p

I know you like counterpointing, and I can appreciate that. I will try hard not to rub it in to you in three weeks time. This is more then a rumor. ;)

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
sw1tcher said:
If they're getting the old (current) G4 iBooks, then it may be a way for Apple to clear out their inventory to make room for the new Intel iBooks/PowerBooks.
I agree, but it also may just be a nice educational discount. We're probably reading too much into it. I still think that we'll see Mactel portables at MWSF '06, and not just becuase I'm "loudly saying what I want", but because I have reason to believe so. Unfortunately I'm under "NDA" as to what those reasons are. ;)

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Damn, I wish my school would purchase the laptops they are selling off (My town is located about 40 miles from Kinston, NC)! I'm stuck using a Dell everyday! :(

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Peace said:
From what I've read on engadget's website they too seem to be reading "tea-leaves"
I thought only the Indians were allowed to drink that tea. :eek:

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
sw1tcher said:

Not to mention the current generation are well tested and have most of the bugs worked out.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
I wish my school had macs, or should I say I wish they Still had macs.
They "Upgraded" all the nice imacs and emacs to Dells , ugh. I remember getting really mad when someone said "When are they gonne replace these macs with new dells" but I just cringed and held my composure.
I also liked being the only one in my classes to actually know how to use a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.