Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
This is a crazy level of thinking beyond MP7,1 thread levels. :p

I think that even Woz would think that Apple producing motherboards to sell into the retail market is a crazy pants idea.

Btw, if in same alternate reality Apple is going to do this, an updated backplane/CPU tray combo designed to upgrade MP5,1 would be nice.
[doublepost=1551629430][/doublepost]That QUO-AOS motherboard still works nowadays?

Last edited:

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
Apple wants to be in the Appliance business. Seal off the whole product, if it breaks you have to buy a new one.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
This is a crazy level of thinking beyond MP7,1 thread levels. :p

I think that even Woz would think that Apple producing motherboards to sell into the retail market is a crazy pants idea.

Btw, if in same alternate reality Apple is going to do this, an updated backplane/CPU tray combo designed to upgrade MP5,1 would be nice.
[doublepost=1551629430][/doublepost]That QUO-AOS motherboard still works nowadays?

QUO is still working, but I haven't played with it running OSX for a long time. My son is using it, but in Windows.

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
I was thinking about Apples next Mac Pro and thought it would be really cool if Apple designed ATX motherboards that officially supported Mac OS. Then we could design / build any ATX configuration we wanted...

Do you think Apple would do this? If thy didn’t want to give up full control of the computer I guess they’ll have to build their own case and everything gets expensive for us.
That could be awesome but honestly - guys that are saying that Apple never do that are right. I don't think is reasonable for them - give us a posibility to buld something.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
All that comes to my mind when I think about this is "software problems galore".

They have very time covering current Mac lineup, let alone this, which can be combined into bunch of different hardware configurations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.