Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
The concept behind the Matrix is a real thought provoker, not that we are prisoners of machines, but what is reality actually? Electronic signals to your brain and the ability to interpret them, determines your reality. Set aside some nefarious purpose, being prisoners or glorified batteries, ;) then the Earth Simulator becomes something else, an experience with purpose, and expanding your horizon beyond a mortal life. 🙃
Listening to Alan Watts this past year, I've come to the same conclusion as him in regards to "What is reality?".

To me...reality is either one of two things:
  • The most elaborate facade that has been pulled over our eyes to hide us from the meaning of true existence and we just happily go along with it because we simply cannot comprehend reality and existence in it's purest forms due to our ignorance, hubris, arrogance and down-right stupidity because we can't see past our own egos.
  • Reality isn't necessarily a shared consciousness but rather, an individual journey that everyone experiences differently. Each individual's experience determines their "reality" and while there are many, many shared threads between each persons reality, each person still has a different story to tell and might not line up exactly like yours. (i.e. We both drive cars, we're both humans, we both breathe oxygen and have some sort of job. But your life went in a different path than mine so your reality is different than mine. We've had similar experiences but your conscious decisions on where your life is headed is different than mine or anyone else's.)
Really fascinating, thought provoking stuff
Alan Watts - What Is Reality?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
our existence is so infinitely minuscule that our galaxy or universe could be part of an even bigger collection of universes that are someone's play thing

Or, our universe exists nested within a larger structure or set of nested structures that are someone's plaything, such that their actions cannot directly affect this universe, and that individual resides within this universe. Recursion is the most sensible way to handle the unimaginable, and it cannot be actual reality unless it makes your head hurt.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Or, our universe exists nested within a larger structure or set of nested structures that are someone's plaything, such that their actions cannot directly affect this universe, and that individual resides within this universe. Recursion is the most sensible way to handle the unimaginable, and it cannot be actual reality unless it makes your head hurt.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Listening to Alan Watts this past year, I've come to the same conclusion as him in regards to "What is reality?".

To me...reality is either one of two things:
  • The most elaborate facade that has been pulled over our eyes to hide us from the meaning of true existence and we just happily go along with it because we simply cannot comprehend reality and existence in it's purest forms due to our ignorance, hubris, arrogance and down-right stupidity because we can't see past our own egos.
  • Reality isn't necessarily a shared consciousness but rather, an individual journey that everyone experiences differently. Each individual's experience determines their "reality" and while there are many, many shared threads between each persons reality, each person still has a different story to tell and might not line up exactly like yours. (i.e. We both drive cars, we're both humans, we both breathe oxygen and have some sort of job. But your life went in a different path than mine so your reality is different than mine. We've had similar experiences but your conscious decisions on where your life is headed is different than mine or anyone else's.)
Really fascinating, thought provoking stuff
Alan Watts - What Is Reality?
I consider this experience as a likely individual journey. The purpose of the journey is unknown and I have no idea if I am the only real entity present, as real as I can be or there are multiple souls (for lack of a better term) experiencing a joint intersecting adventure. :) I consider it a likely error to to regard this mortal life at face value, because it makes zero logical sense to grant consciousness to an entity for the equivalent of a nano-second in the overall timeline, and then yank it away.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
A more Buddhist approach is to realise that all matter is undergoing continual transformation: furniture and houses age, trees grow, mountains are worn down, continents shift, break apart and reform. There is nothing permanent, and in fact what we experience as solid is also largely empty space and transforming slowly or fast. Even in quantum mechanics they have come to the conclusion reality is more a process than made up of something as mundane as particles.

In effect what there is defies description; it is a vast mysterious something, of which we are very tiny expressions who are aware of only a slightly larger bubble in the something.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
A more Buddhist approach is to realise that all matter is undergoing continual transformation: furniture and houses age, trees grow, mountains are worn down, continents shift, break apart and reform. There is nothing permanent, and in fact what we experience as solid is also largely empty space and transforming slowly or fast. Even in quantum mechanics they have come to the conclusion reality is more a process than made up of something as mundane as particles.

In effect what there is defies description; it is a vast mysterious something, of which we are very tiny expressions who are aware of only a slightly larger bubble in the something.
AKA, the "Tao". Essentially, the natural order of the universe that cannot be explained, described, perceived or experienced. We just know it's there and it affects everything. It is the preverbal glue that is holding everything together.

• Love
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
AKA, the "Tao". Essentially, the natural order of the universe that cannot be explained, described, perceived or experienced. We just know it's there and it affects everything. It is the preverbal glue that is holding everything together.
The best motto “You know nothing Jon Snow!” 😁 What cracks me up is when I say that I/We know nothing, I get an argument about how much we do know. Yeah, we know some things about this reality by virtue of reliability of particles that follow “rules” we have identified, that’s until we bump into a conflict.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How long before we have neural chips implanted in our heads with built in communication (phone coms) and augmented memory? Maybe not long…🤔

Keywords: Neuralink, Telepathy
Description: The study will assess the functionality of the interface, which enables people with quadriplegia or paralysis of all four limbs to control devices with their thoughts, according to the company's website.

The first product from Neuralink would be called Telepathy, Musk said in a separate post on X.
The startup's PRIME Study is a trial for its wireless brain-computer interface to evaluate the safety of the implant and surgical robot.
The study will assess the functionality of the interface, which enables people with quadriplegia or paralysis of all four limbs to control devices with their thoughts, according to the company's website.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
How long before we have neural chips implanted in our heads with built in communication (phone coms) and augmented memory? Maybe not long…🤔
Given the grotesque potential for abuse, on the part of both irresponsible governments and ethics free individuals, such as possible compulsion with the use of this technology, - unless very strictly regulated, with exceptionally extensive oversight - this report fills me with horror.
Description: The study will assess the functionality of the interface, which enables people with quadriplegia or paralysis of all four limbs to control devices with their thoughts, according to the company's website.

The first product from Neuralink would be called Telepathy, Musk said in a separate post on X.
The startup's PRIME Study is a trial for its wireless brain-computer interface to evaluate the safety of the implant and surgical robot.
The study will assess the functionality of the interface, which enables people with quadriplegia or paralysis of all four limbs to control devices with their thoughts, according to the company's website.
Irrespective of the potential for good in that technology, I must say that I find that man to be downright sinister.

Last edited:

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho

The fact that it's Elon who's making it, HARD pass from me.

elon-borg-4.png

If it restores someone's ability to walk or anything like that, fine. But anything BEYOND that, whole lotta nope. Just, no.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Warming Artic (and implications)
Continued at link. The author is based in the UK.

IMG_3139.jpeg

According to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the Arctic ice is shrinking by almost 13% a decade, a trend that, according to a study by Kim et al indicates ice-free summers by 2050. (Kim, Min, Gillet, & et al, 2023). Sea ice loss has far-reaching effects around the world.

The Arctic’s role in reflecting heat back into space is critical. The Arctic acts as a mirror for the Earth, bouncing heat back into space with its white ice. But this mirror is cracking, as the Arctic is heating up faster than anywhere else on the planet. As the ice melts, more dark ocean is exposed, which absorbs more heat and accelerates the warming. This reduces the Arctic’s ability to reflect heat and keep the Earth cool.

The chilly Arctic is in contrast with the warmer southern areas, creating a powerful wind called the jet stream, which steers the weather patterns across the northern half of the globe. But as the Arctic heats up faster than the rest of the world, this contrast weakens, and the jet stream becomes weaker and possibly faster. This can make the weather more extreme and unpredictable, as hot air from the tropics can invade the north causing heatwaves and droughts, while cold air from the poles could flow south bringing cold snaps and snowstorms. (E360, 2023), (Lerner, 2023
Since 1880, global sea levels have risen by 8–9 inches (21–24 centimetres), with a significant acceleration in the past 25 years. (Lindsey, 2022), (NASA) The melting of Arctic ice caps and glaciers contributes to rising sea levels, posing a direct threat to local communities, marine ecosystems, and the biodiversity that depends on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.