Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aarono2690

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
I found the Slickdeals Microcenter deal and got Best Buy to price match. Scored the M3 15” 16gb/512gb for $1,223 before tax. Computer is currently awaiting pickup at my local Best Buy. I’m trying to decide if I need this computer or if the adrenaline of a good deal over took me.

Here is my current setup:

- Desktop gaming PC with 3080ti

- iPad Pro 12.9 with Magic Keyboard

- Work provided laptop strictly for work. I am a CPA and have a lot of restrictions for security reasons - my laptop is only for work.

I currently do not have a personal laptop. Here are my concerns regarding keeping the MBA:

- iPad Pro has a better display

- MacOS still doesn’t have all the streaming apps I use. Can’t download all the movies I want before a flight for instance or area of no service.

- Not sure if it fills a niche or role I require.

- Can handle light gaming, but anything heavy and I’m going to my PC.

Here is what makes me want to keep it:

- Currently do not have a laptop.

- Sidecar capabilities with my iPad

- Currently learning drums/piano. Hope to join a band in the future. Might be useful to have a good laptop for recording and learning editing/production.

- Want to learn Python. My CPA job keeps me chained to the desk for hours everyday. Might be nice to sit outside with a coffee and the MBA while I learn Python.

- It’s a great deal. Not sure if I’ll see something similar for a while.

Money isn’t a huge concern, but I also don’t want to waste money. I wanted this communities thoughts before my order pickup window closes.

Thank you!

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
The MacBook Air is a great computer and was thinking about getting one to replace my 2010 MacBook Pro and the only reason I did not get one is I found an awesome deal on a 2017 MacBook Pro at the place I was getting my iPhone battery replaced at for under $200.00

Reactions: aarono2690

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Is there anything you could do, and see yourself doing, on the MacBook that you cannot already do on your iPad + MKB? For myself, the best way to address temptation is to break it down and make sure the thing I want is not something I already have.

- Currently do not have a laptop.
- Your 12.9" iPP and MKB disagree.​

- Sidecar capabilities with my iPad
- Is this something you'll use? It seems a little impractical, especially if you can just use your PC monitor.​

- Currently learning drums/piano. Hope to join a band in the future. Might be useful to have a good laptop for recording and learning editing/production.
- Check the App Store for music editing and production apps.​

- Want to learn Python. My CPA job keeps me chained to the desk for hours everyday. Might be nice to sit outside with a coffee and the MBA while I learn Python.
- Pythonista is great for learning! There's also A-Shell for that terminal environment.​

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I used the 12.9” iPad Pro as my primary device/laptop replacement for about a year and a half. I ended up switching to a 16” MacBook Pro due to the limitations of the iPad for my use (this was shortly before the 15” MacBook Air was introduced, otherwise I likely would have bought that). I sold the iPad Pro and just use my iPad mini when not using the MacBook.

Everyone’s use case is different. iPad as primary works for some people… but not for me.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
- MacOS still doesn’t have all the streaming apps I use. Can’t download all the movies I want before a flight for instance or area of no service.
Get Downie or another YouTube downloader - and download hours of YouTube content that you want to watch for flights, etc. Then delete after you watch it.

If you can't find hours and hours and hours of interesting Youtube content...then you aren't trying.😜

Enjoy the MBA!

aarono2690

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
Get Downie or another YouTube downloader - and download hours of YouTube content that you want to watch for flights, etc. Then delete after you watch it.

If you can't find hours and hours and hours of interesting Youtube content...then you aren't trying.😜

Enjoy the MBA!
Suppose that’s one way to utilize it! I assume these apps are also available for iPad?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Seeking any last minute advice before my pickup window closes in a few days

I say DO IT!

The lower quality screen isn't anything that would bother me. I own an Apple Studio display and a 16" MBP. I don't really notice that I'm not using a Promotion display when I'm on my external monitor.

Not that the MBA is a light hitter, but it doesn't sound like you need a heavy duty workhorse.

You want something to use as a learning device. If you're serious about learning how to code, there's no substitute for having a real computer. It just makes everything easier. As you expand, there's all sorts of stuff that you'll want to install that you can't install on an iOS device.

Besides, if you decide it's not for you, at the price you're getting it at you could easily offload it on a secondary market and get back most of your money if not more than you paid. You could also just return it within the 2 week window if you decide it was a mistake.

aarono2690

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2024
BestBuy, right? If you end up not liking it, you have 2 weeks to return it. Not sure about restocking fees though.
Yeah BBY. I don’t believe they charge restocking fees - never been assessed one on any return. Never returned an apple product though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.