Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmorales

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Spain
I bought a new iPad Pro 11 (2020) 3 days ago and I received yesterday. I was installing the screen protector when I noticed what it seemed to be a tiny scratch/hairline crack on the bottom right corner of the screen.

The scratch/crack is almost impossible to notice unless you put the iPad under a potent light and angle it in a very specific way. Based on the picture I’m inclined to think that it’s just a superficial factory scratch because it’s pretty straight and doesn’t go from edge to edge like the cracks I’ve seen in the past.

what do you guys think? If it’s just a scratch I can live with it but if it’s a crack I’d like to try to get another unit (although this might be difficult since this iPad is discontinued and the store I bought it from doesn’t have stock anymore). I do have AppleCare+.

IMG_1071.jpeg

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
The iPad Pro 2020 is discontinued?? I’d contact the store for a replacement/return, if you bought it new. If it was a used/refurbished then I dint know how that would work.

Reactions: pmorales

pmorales

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Spain
The iPad Pro 2020 is discontinued?? I’d contact the store for a replacement/return, if you bought it new. If it was a used/refurbished then I dint know how that would work.
Yes, apple doesn’t sell it anymore and third party stores are selling the remaining stock they have.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I'd return it because the scratch will affect the resale and trade-in value of the tablet.

To follow up on this thought, I looked at the trade-in value for my 2018 12.9 Pro and in pristine condition, Apple would give $535; with a scratched display that dropped to $105. So that scratch would lop $430 off the trade-in value on mine.

pmorales

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Spain
To follow up on this thought, I looked at the trade-in value for my 2018 12.9 Pro and in pristine condition, Apple would give $535; with a scratched display that dropped to $105. So that scratch would lop $430 off the trade-in value on mine.
Thanks for the follow-up. I just checked with the store I bought it from and they don’t have stock so I would just get my money back. If I return it I’ll probably have to buy the new iPad Air instead (I paid for the Pro $30 more than what the air costs) because finding the 2020 Pro for the same price is going to be difficult.
As for the trade-in value, I see your point but I guess that I can always get a new iPad using AppleCare (and paying $49) and then trade in that iPad.
Thanks so much for your input!

Last edited:

pmorales

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Spain
return it and get another one. you’re still in the 14 day window.
Unfortunately there’s no more stock available in the store I bought it from so I would have to go for the Air 4 instead of the Pro if I return it… it’s very unfortunate that I got a factory scratch

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Stock is still available on Amazon.
Makes sense. There will be stock around at third party resellers for a while still. But they likely aren’t receiving new stock (though they could be as Apple has occasionally kept older models around unofficially via third party resellers but I doubt that’s happening for the iPad Pro).

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
if you just bought it return it. even if it's just a scratch that's unacceptable. send it right back and get a 2021 model instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.