Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sovre

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
Bad luck. My new iPhone 11 slipped out of my pocket and hit the street just before the case I ordered arrived!

Guess I'm lucky the back glass didn't break but where the left bottom corner of my phone hit the asphalt, the coating got scratched up.

I don't care about the scratches cosmetically, the problem is for whatever reason the little scraped parts where the paint are missing are actually kind of jagged, and that is where I usually hold the phone in the palm of my hand. It feels sort of like tiny metal shards are sticking out. They aren't jagged enough to cut, just to cause irritation.

I guess this has something to do with the kind of coating Apple used. I took a look at my old iphone 7 plus which also has some paint missing on the corners, but even where the paint is missing the phone feels perfectly smooth.

I have tried buffing it with a cloth, but it did nothing. I'm assuming sandpaper would not be a good idea as it would remove more of the coating.

Anyone have any ideas about what I could do to smooth the damaged corner out, without actually further removing the coating?

Thanks

sovre

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2019
If the chassis is physically pitted, you won't be able to fix it without at least sanding it.

Why not just put on the case you ordered?
It's in the case now, but generally I prefer to use my phone without the case indoors because the case adds some bulk and I find it more comfortable without.

But in this case I may just have to leave it on.

I'm assuming sanding it would take off the coating from the whole corner area? What if I were to paint the scratched area with something like clear nail polish? Would it do any good for getting rid of the roughness there?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'm assuming sanding it would take off the coating from the whole corner area? What if I were to paint the scratched area with something like clear nail polish? Would it do any good for getting rid of the roughness there?

Yes, if you sand it, the original aluminum color will be revealed. I think painting with nail polish could be a good idea. At least I can't imagine it would be worse than before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.