Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I've had the Gold for 2 months now, and noticed there are scratches on the back of the gold. I am assuming this is normal wear and tear. Do all colours do this?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've had the Gold for 2 months now, and noticed there are scratches on the back of the gold. I am assuming this is normal wear and tear. Do all colours do this?

If you wear the watch daily, you have to expect scratches at some point. It’s the nature of wearing anything on your wrist that comes into contact with objects frequently. There isn’t anything you really can do about it.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
It is perfectly normal wear and tear - very fine little scratches. It happens on expensive Rolexes as well. The watch "lives" with you as you wear it. On a stainless steel you can remove them with a polishing cloth, on the gold plated one, you should NOT do this.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
On a stainless steel you can remove them with a polishing cloth, on the gold plated one, you should NOT do this.

I think you mean, you cannot do this... Because of the PVD coating, the polishing cloth would actually remove the coating and cause a separation.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Exactly - as long as there is no coating (gold plated in this case), you can do it on a gold watch as well. I guess there will not be any "separation", you just rub it away in short time. Same case with the black stainless steel.
Actually never tried it, but it could develop some kind of Steampunk look :D
...Note to myself: Interesting idea :)

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I've posted a pic - would this happen on any colour? Is it just from wearing it?

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpeg
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 282

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I don't see any scratches, just looks like it needs to be washed
Exactly. Since the back of the watch is most sapphire I don’t even know what you mean when you say “back of the gold” - to me all i can see is gunk. Give it a wash and then polish with a microfibre cloth.
[doublepost=1545782691][/doublepost]
I think you mean, you cannot do this... Because of the PVD coating, the polishing cloth would actually remove the coating and cause a separation.
Should not and cannot. Should not for the reason you stated being the result.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
I've posted a pic - would this happen on any colour? Is it just from wearing it?

Looks like corrosion. Circled in red for highlighting. I don’t think that’s stuff to just wash off. I’ve seen aluminum Apple watches flaking like this and apparently apple replaces watches exhibiting this behavior once under warranty. I think you should take it back to Apple. Never seen this on a stainless steel before yours.

0d8ab8232fd2911198764c21c6edeec2.jpg

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
Looks like corrosion. Circled in red for highlighting. I don’t think that’s stuff to just wash off. I’ve seen aluminum Apple watches flaking like this and apparently apple replaces watches exhibiting this behavior once under warranty. I think you should take it back to Apple. Never seen this on a stainless steel before yours.

0d8ab8232fd2911198764c21c6edeec2.jpg

I'm 99% sure that's dirt and not a scratch. Clean your stuff. All watches worn next to the skin collect a fair amount of gross stuff in the crevices.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
I'm 99% sure that's dirt and not a scratch. Clean your stuff. All watches worn next to the skin collect a fair amount of gross stuff in the crevices.

Have you ever seen the aluminum Apple watches flaking from the back before?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Don’t be so quick to dismiss. I’m sure the op can see better than all of us to know if it’s just dirt or something else.
Why are you going on about aluminium? It has nothing to do with that

How about actually read what I said, then open your mouth

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Have you ever seen the aluminum Apple watches flaking from the back before?

I have. And there was a few members who had this issue with some type of manufacturing defect with the anodization with the flaking of the aluminum, I remember your thread you started last year, and I believe another member had a similar issue to yours.

Also, the previous iPhone 6s/7 that used the 7000 Series aluminum, uses the same anodization process as the watch aluminum. A few members had issues with the iPhone 6s/flaking as well. It’s rare, but it did happen.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Why are you going on about aluminium? It has nothing to do with that

How about actually read what I said, then open your mouth

Not sure why you feel the need to attack. I’m simply saying don’t be so quick to dismiss. Aluminum was simply a reference to these things happening before on an Apple Watch.

I certainly don’t expect to see similar on a SS or with materials like ceramic but we have a picture here that might say otherwise. It doesn’t look like dirt. It resembles how the flaking aluminum Apple watches looked.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
Not sure why you feel the need to attack. I’m simply saying don’t be so quick to dismiss. Aluminum was simply a reference to these things happening before on an Apple Watch.

I certainly don’t expect to see similar on a SS or with materials like ceramic but we have a picture here that might say otherwise. It doesn’t look like dirt. It resembles how the flaking aluminum Apple watches looked.

That’s because it is flaking.

Flaking soap scum mixed with dirt and dead skin cells.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

As others have suggested regarding your picture, have you tried cleaning the back of the watch at all? You haven’t really responded to much of anyone in this thread, leaving for open discussion and questions.

Reactions: SoN1NjA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.