Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
How many of you have managed to scratch your phone already by doing normal things; not deliberate torture tests?

This guy on Twitter / X dropped his phone while it was in a TPU case and that's all it took for it to get scratched. I'm a bit surprised with how fragile this is.

twitter.com/MrPerfectTech/status/1705816297366569368

F6xG31uawAAzIZg
F6xG31tbAAAXpro

And more here: twitter.com/ParasmeSaurabh/status/1705228535198294404

Edit: Even though I'm not a fan of the new Ti phones, after seeing these pics, I was thinking about getting a case with the Blue Ti but now I'm not too sure.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I guess that bit of titanium isn’t as scratch resistant as some hope.

Also, one good example of why most cases only mitigates, not nullify damages to the phone itself.

My previous iPhone XS Max gpt scratched pretty bad around the edge despite on cases for several years so.

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I think the best is to go with natural titanium this year.
As was white or other colors that had a clean stainless band (without anodizing) in previous phones. I often purchased white phones (xS Max - 11) as I could take some mothers metal polish and bring it back to a mirror finish with ease.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
I guess that bit of titanium isn’t as scratch resistant as some hope.

Also, one good example of why most cases only mitigates, not nullify damages to the phone itself.
It's PVD coated, so that means it's bare Titanium under a coating of color. I'm sure it's easier to scratch, but this also just looks like a ****** case.

Reactions: Mity

OceanWraith

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023
Turkiye
No, I don't accept this situation.

Because I was using the Spigen Ultra Hybrid 2 case while using the iPhone 8 Plus. The corner parts of this case were specially resistant to drops. Its motto is "Extra Durability and Perfect Grip". And one day, I dropped the phone on the asphalt in the same way and the paint of the 8 Plus peeled off, albeit very little.

I think this situation is greatly exaggerated.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
It's PVD coated, so that means it's bare Titanium under a coating of color. I'm sure it's easier to scratch, but this also just looks like a ****** case.
It does look pretty crappy TBH. But I know that lots of cheap morons that are going to buy a case like that on Amazon.

However, at the same time, I would hate to buy a bulky, industrial design case like the Otterbox Defenders. Hopefully leather cases fare better???

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It does look pretty crappy TBH. But I know that lots of cheap morons that are going to buy a case like that on Amazon.

However, at the same time, I would hate to buy a bulky, industrial design case like the Otterbox Defenders. Hopefully leather cases fare better???
Leather would be just as bad, trust me.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington

I love the pro series phones but my hobbies (retired now) fixing vehicles, tractors and home appliances I am on a cement surface alotm in my shop. I have already put my iPhone 15 Pro in an industrial design case as I want to try and keep my phone in as nice condition as humanly possible. I am one of those cheap moron that did buy my use from Amazon but I went for the $35.00 case as the pricing of the Otterbox was almost $80.00 and the case I got was a MyBat Pro Maverick series. It looks like almost an identical to the Otterbox but the MyBat has a better holster as the Otterbox I got last year the holster would let my iPhone drop from it randomly.

Since I am a retired aircraft worker natural titanium will have minor color differences and spotting nothing unusual in that. No matter the coating on the surface it will also have some color mismatching it is all normal. Then the coating scratching well yes that is normal no matter how careful it is and if it is dropped with the thinner cases these are going to useless as the pictures do show in not protecting the coating. Will it actually hurt the titanium in a short answer no it just be a mark on it.

I have a kind of a question on whether the aluminum inner frame being fused to the titanium left me questioning whether the aluminum will corrode from having 2 dissimilar metals together. I am betting that as long as they do not get moisture they should be fine but I am not an Apple engineer so I guess we will find out in a few years.

Reactions: shr631

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Since I am a retired aircraft worker natural titanium will have minor color differences and spotting nothing unusual in that. No matter the coating on the surface it will also have some color mismatching it is all normal. Then the coating scratching well yes that is normal no matter how careful it is and if it is dropped with the thinner cases these are going to useless as the pictures do show in not protecting the coating. Will it actually hurt the titanium in a short answer no it just be a mark on it.
It would suck to buy a $1200+ phone to have weird discolorations and spots on it. Gradients in color may be okay as it can make something look unique but discolorations make it look like a defect, which is what would I call it.

I don't think people buy the iPhone Pros just for the functionality; you can get basic utility from the regular non-Pro models. My gov iPhone is in one of those similar padded cases and I hate how it feels. But it is functional...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.