Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
and I've had this MacBook since September 23, 2007. I picked-up a new pair of glasses treated with anti-glare and "progressive" lenses and I noticed from the front view with my glasses on that the screen has little scratches about the length of the trackpad. I opened and closed the MacBook and the scratches are right-in-line with trackpad (raised area). I'm taking it to the Apple Store, but in the meantime, has anyone posted a similar thread???

I just bought a 2nd MacBook 2.16 for my wife on Thursday, September 27, 2007!!! Still in the box; got a full version of iLife '08 without the iPod Rebate (Damn).:(

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
and I've had this MacBook since September 23, 2007. I picked-up a new pair of glasses treated with anti-glare and "progressive" lenses and I noticed from the front view with my glasses on that the screen has little scratches about the length of the trackpad. I opened and closed the MacBook and the scratches are right-in-line with trackpad (raised area). I'm taking it to the Apple Store, but in the meantime, has anyone posted a similar thread???

I just bought a 2nd MacBook 2.16 for my wife on Thursday, September 27, 2007!!! Still in the box; got a full version of iLife '08 without the iPod Rebate (Damn).:(

This is why I generally keep the screen protector or else get a more durable one and always use it when I close the lid. Some people will call you anal, I just like having a scuff-free screen.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Well, lesson...

learned! I was able to find similar posts to mine and they clearly defined my screen scratches to a "T" and though I was totally "Bummed Out" I'll take it in stride. My wife's MacBook will also keep the screen & keyboard shipping protection in tact. AppleCare was pretty adamant that the minute damage was USER specific! They still set-up an appointment at the Emeryville, CA Apple Store, to have the MacBook sent back, (but is that worth the wait???):eek:. Thanks for the reply post!

hime03

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
I had my macbook for 4 or so days before I noticed that annoying large piece of "dust" was a chip right in the middle of the screen. I admit I was a bit anal, but to spend that much on something you want quality. The real issue with exchanging it was that I sent in an ipod and printer rebate so it couldn't be exchanged. I settled for just having the screen replaced.. a long wait, but I felt it would be worth it. But when I brought it in and asked for a screen replacement, the mac genius called out the manager and the manager gave me a new macbook instead. Along with the instant rebates from the ipod and printer :)
(the rebates I sent in the mail would be rejected)

It depends who helps you.. who knows what will happen.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Make An Appointment...

when you go to the Apple Store in Emeryville, CA!!! I walked in at 5:45pm and didn't see someone until 7:35pm and they just repeated what the Phone AppleCare folks told me. "Stand-By" was BRUTAL and the Store Manager had to hand-pick one of the Techs to help me. The Screen Scratch problem was addressed "exactly" as the previous posts had explained, but I'm leaning towards getting a new MacBook v. getting work done to make it right! I figure I paid "good money" and I should get what I paid for! (Why couldn't I just say that to them at the Apple Store???). Anyway, I'll take the fight up with them on Sunday, and I'll post the results.

:cool:

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I remember seeing in older mac notebooks, the imprint of keys onto the screen and now i'm hearing about this. One thing that kind of bothers me... why would apple design a notebook that is suceptible to this? If the notebook is 1mm thicker where the keys or trackpad might be countersunk just a tiny bit, this prob can be avoided. I just dont get it.

I have never seen this on PC notebooks - although I'll admit that I've never played around with any super slim ones but I have a 12" Asus for years now and its got 1-2mm between the LCD and anything else when closed.

As a consumer, I'd be willing to give up 1mm of 'sleekness' to have a scratch free LCD :)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Definitely a DESIGN issue!

I remember seeing in older mac notebooks, the imprint of keys onto the screen and now i'm hearing about this. One thing that kind of bothers me... why would apple design a notebook that is suceptible to this? If the notebook is 1mm thicker where the keys or trackpad might be countersunk just a tiny bit, this prob can be avoided. I just dont get it.

I have never seen this on PC notebooks - although I'll admit that I've never played around with any super slim ones but I have a 12" Asus for years now and its got 1-2mm between the LCD and anything else when closed.

As a consumer, I'd be willing to give up 1mm of 'sleekness' to have a scratch free LCD :)

I agree with your post, and I'm wondering why there isn't anything available to at least WARN US that these scratches are an ongoing issue, that has only been addressed with an AppleCare phone call or a drop-in visit to the Apple Store, and by that time it's TOO LATE; "you are now in the FIX MY MacBook ZONE or replace it." I'll be banging on that door on Sunday. Thanks for your post.

:mad:

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I was hoping...

to hear from Apple that they were having a factory recall on the MacBook LCD screens and all I have to do is return my MacBook to "any" Apple Store and I would receive a "brand new" MacBook and a $100 Apple Gift Card for my inconvenience, (you know, like PAIN & SUFFERING)!!! I had several customers come up to me and ask "what's wrong with your MacBook?" I would briefly explain the situation and they would ask themselves "I wonder if that will happen with our MacBook?" It sounds as if Apple Store's are not the least bit concerned that someone like "myself" would think about standing outside their store claiming that their MacBook LCD screen will end up looking like "THIS" in a matter of days or hours, and Apple says it was my fault! I might try that on Sunday, September 30, 2007! Look for me on the NEWS!!!
:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.