Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bayates826

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Hello, I just got an iPhone8 and the screen is annoying me. It will change brightness seemingly at random and will become unreadable in a bright environment.

I've searched solutions, but everything points to the three settings that control the screen automatically (Auto-brightness, True-tone, and White point). I have all of these options turned off and I control the brightness with the slider, but it still changes brightness levels. Also, the brightness slider does not increase the brightness when these changes happen. If the screen dims, the slider will still be on 100%, but there will be no brightness changes when sliding between 50-100%. When the screen gets bright again the slider will work like expected.

Like I said, it seems random. When I'm laying in bed in the dark it will sometimes pop bright. When I'm in direct sunlight it will still pop dim (this is the biggest issue because I can't see it at all when this happens). I'll notice it multiple times if I'm sitting for a long period of time.

Has anyone had this happen before or know of a different setting that would control this? So far, I've only been able to find the settings mentioned above or a recommendation to reset the phone which I have done.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
iPhone X. It happens to me too and I haven’t been able to find a solution. In the past turning off automatic brightness would resolve these issues but now it has no zero effect.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If the screen/iPhone is too hot (in direct sunlight) it will automatically dim to reduce internal heat generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.