Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
I too noticed warmer tint than my ASD and iPP 13 4th gen (admitted color snob and like my white to be white). Used the color filters setting in Accessibility to make it more bearable. Try playing around with it and see if it works for you. This is the setting for my particular unit:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 9.17.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 9.17.27 AM.png
    472.4 KB · Views: 111

nkarach

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
Just returned mine after comparing to the other 11 inches in the store, mine was significantly warmer/yellower with identical settings.

Will be holding onto my 12.9 M1 trade-in for a bit. Maybe this will improve after production continues for a couple months.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Welcome to Apple OLEDs. I don’t love it but it is what it is. You may have one that is a bit more yellow than others but I bet it’s not far off.l the norm unfortunately. How does your OLED iPad compare to your iPhone OLED? I bet if you were to take a picture of those they would look much closer to each other.
My iPhone 15 Pro and M4 11” iPad Pro with True Tone on look identical in screen color. I did notice in the Apple store yesterday that the 11” ipad Air screens were more bluish white than the 11” Pros (both had True Tone on and were set at full brightness). I’m picky when it comes to screens and my new M4 11” Pro has a beautiful screen. Screens vary in color and it’s pretty much luck of the draw. I would (and have) return a screen I’m not happy with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mescagnus

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
On my 13" M4 Pro, True Tone is definitely too aggressive. When I turn it off, the white balance looks good, and pretty close to my iPhone 13.

My M1 iPad Pro skews blue with True Tone off, and very slightly pink with True Tone on (but not noticeable unless you compare with another screen).

Summary: my M1 iPad Pro needs True Tone on to tame the blue. My M4 iPad Pro needs True Tone off to prevent the yellow.

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
On my 13" M4 Pro, True Tone is definitely too aggressive. When I turn it off, the white balance looks good, and pretty close to my iPhone 13.

My M1 iPad Pro skews blue with True Tone off, and very slightly pink with True Tone on (but not noticeable unless you compare with another screen).

Summary: my M1 iPad Pro needs True Tone on to tame the blue. My M4 iPad Pro needs True Tone off to prevent the yellow.
My m4 was much more yellow with True Tone off, but sent it back now, will see what they new one is like

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
It's a bit warmer than the M2 Mini LED. Overall I would say it's a more true to life representation. The old display looks like it has a blue haze to is side by side.

Wpaulo01

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2017

Thanks, you nailed it. Same with my iPad Pro , M4 and my iPad Pro M1

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2002
I’ve noticed that the M4 pro (nano) is much warmer by comparison to the 5th gen iPad Pro. The old IPad is very similar in color to the XDR Pro display. Even with b&w images tend to be more silvery on the old Pro and more yellow on the new one. I guess it’s the luck of the draw. I remember every new iPhone seemed to have a different white balance.

Have you noticed a difference in color with your IPad Pro?
Completely agree. My iPad Pro 13” nano texture is definitely warmer on the display side compared to my prior iPad Pro M1 12.9”.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Further to my previous post, I picked up the 11" and wow what a difference. I could see how much better it was as soon as I started setting it up and it matched my iPhone 15 pro max. None of this dingy yellow/green tone and the colours popped! Took the 13" back the same day.

frostrambler

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
NYC
Returned my 13 inch and got a replacement at the 5th Ave nyc store. Will try it out when I get home. Apple customer service rep agreed the screen was yellowish.

nkarach

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
The salesperson at the Apple Store today agreed and was also in shock how much warmer-tinted my 11 inch unit was than the store display models, with all the same settings.

She offered immediate replacement, but I said I would wait for a bit.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010

This is my experience as well.

Could be a bug with True Tone. iOS had a similar bug a few years back with an aggressively yellow True Tone in one of the iOS betas. Apple eventually fixed it. For now I just turn of True Tone in the m4. And at night when it’s too blue I turn on night shift to a value slightly above the minimum setting.

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
I too noticed warmer tint than my ASD and iPP 13 4th gen (admitted color snob and like my white to be white). Used the color filters setting in Accessibility to make it more bearable. Try playing around with it and see if it works for you. This is the setting for my particular unit:
Thanks for the photo - that’s very useful. I just played around with the settings and was surprised how much you can influence the look.

MaestroC

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
I’ve noticed that the M4 pro (nano) is much warmer by comparison to the 5th gen iPad Pro. The old IPad is very similar in color to the XDR Pro display. Even with b&w images tend to be more silvery on the old Pro and more yellow on the new one. I guess it’s the luck of the draw. I remember every new iPhone seemed to have a different white balance.

Have you noticed a difference in color with your IPad Pro?
Yes I thought it was just me. I have had to enable True Tone and it’s not as warm anymore.

Reactions: tonyau

Dav6

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
I have the same issue unfortunately. It's definitely more yellow/greenish.

Compared it to iPhone 15 Pro, MacBook Pro M1 Max and Studio display.
The iPhone tends to look a bit like the iPad but not that warm. Kinda in-between. The MacBook and Studio Display is way cooler.

Also the iPad looks like the same brightness as the Studio display although this one is only 600nits.

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
It is better after I turn off True Tone.

Do I still exchange or keep it?

Edit: Decided to keep it.

Last edited:

davechapfilms

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
My 13” m4 is very yellow/warm compared to every other device I have. Here it looks magenta compared to my m2 iPad Pro and LG Ultrafine.

Attachments

• IMG_4333.jpeg
    IMG_4333.jpeg
    866.3 KB · Views: 81

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
My M4 is very much like brdwygurl’s one on the right. Light mode and Truetone off. My white seems very good and it is a far better display than the M2

Here is my M4 (right) next to my M2 with same settings:

Attachments

• IMG_1474.jpeg
    IMG_1474.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
My 13” m4 is very yellow/warm compared to every other device I have. Here it looks magenta compared to my m2 iPad Pro and LG Ultrafine.
LCDs in general tend to be blue-ish, so OLED often looks warm in comparison. It’s not possible to tell from your photo if it’s too warm or actually matches the standard D65 white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.