Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
Like many I'm trying to get used to the X, coming from a 7+. I was having some eye strain (54 years old) with the X. But I realized it's honeymoon period constant use and text more than anything, in my most commonly used apps which are messages, mail, Facebook, Google Maps. So I took some pics of my findings. For the pics, both phones are in the same case (Speck Presidio Sport). Also, brightness slider is set to 50% as best I can for both phones for all pics. Photos courtesy of my wife's iPhone 7.

Also important to note that the fluorescent light fixture above my workbench was creating reflections/glare, so I'm holding my left arm over the camera to eliminate them from the screens. This causing shadowing in the photo area and those hideous :cool: white bezels to look worse.

Both phones, bottom of screens line up as best as possible, True tone OFF on X (Old, Smaller text)(note text ends at same point, but X text is smaller, photo is longer):
Untitled by Jeff H, on Flickr

Both phones, bottom of screens lined up as best as possible, True tone OFF on X (one notch larger text in Accessibility)(less text shown, but I can live with it and probably would not had known if I didn't own the 7 Plus):

Both phones, lined up, True Tone ON for the X:

Both phones with my attempt to create same viewing angle for both. True tone still ON:

To sum it up, the slight change to font size seems to help me in all apps such as noted above where dynamic scaling is supported. Slightly smaller photo presentations in social media, Flipboard etc. are not an issue. I see slightly less text due to width, but if I had not had the 7 Plus I might never had missed it. YMMV. Using accessibility to tweak the text is a tremendous help and will at least let me consider keeping the X longer through the extended return period.

I don't notice much color shift with true tone on at slight angles. I do notice the 7 Plus getting darker at those angles. True tone for me has worked well and I see noticeable shifts if I move from fluorescent lighted workbench (where these photos were taken) to under the natural skylight above kitchen island. I don't miss the battery %, but do miss the bluetooth connected icon.

The notch doesn't bother me, especially when comparing to the bezels on the 7 Plus.

Just got it two days ago, but like any honeymoon period it hasn't left my hands much......:cool:

Reactions: miss.manson

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Interesting and good work. FWIW, I was doing some side by side comparisons (viewing the BBC's recent versions of Shakespeare's historical plays, which is just gorgeous watching) of my X and my 7. Your third photo does a good job of showing one of the amazing things about the X - I am still on the fence about the X, but one of the things that would make going back to the 7 really hard is the TrueTone display. I always thought Apple's LCD displays were amazing, and they are, but the OLED on the X just blows them away, even if you spend time tweaking the display on the 7 (and, I assume, the 8, and their Plus counterparts).

Earth45

Suspended
Nov 29, 2017
936F694B-7C94-4D11-B13C-FA28B86E9082.jpeg

Your iPhone 7 is not as bright for some reason as my iPhone 8+. That includes off angle. My brightness setting was about 50% as well and True Tone off and in a slightly darken room. Glad Apple made some changes to the screen. I like brighter screens.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
View attachment 740194

Your iPhone 7 is not as bright for some reason as my iPhone 8+. That includes off angle. My brightness setting was about 50% as well and True Tone off and in a slightly darken room. Glad Apple made some changes to the screen. I like brighter screens.

I've compared my 7+ in the store against 8+ and it does in fact seem as bright. I'm not a photographer, but I've hung out on the flashlight forum candlepowerforums enough to know that aperture, exposure, white balance, etc. etc. can make a difference in photo results. Real world though I don't see a difference in 50% brightness on 7+ vs 8+ with auto brightness off on the units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.