Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

table681

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Hi,

Looking around on forms, it seems this issue has popped up a few times. Opened my Mac the morning to find the screen had internally cracked (can't feel it with my finger etc), is this something that apple would cover? Or am I completely out of luck? Computer was bought in July 2022 (MacBook Air M2), I believe in the uk we have 6 years Consumer Law warranty, however I am aware that is it a cracked screen so I will most likely be blamed. The only reason I think I have chance is due to the fact the screen is very obviously cracked internally and not externally.

Attachments

• IMG_3099.jpeg
    IMG_3099.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Haha
Reactions: waziazi

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Where did you buy it from? It's worth exploring the 6 year consumer law, but this must be from the retailer you purchased the device.

table681

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Where did you buy it from? It's worth exploring the 6 year consumer law, but this must be from the retailer you purchased the device.
Purchased it from Apple as it was a Build to order machine. Do you think it's something thats likely to get approved?

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I haven't seen any other reports of a cracked screen in these models, but if you have and can find them, print them out and take your MBA and the printed reports to your nearest Apple Store. That would give you the best chance of them agreeing to it being a defect and covering repair/replacement.

Apple have typically been pretty good at customer support, so unless there's any obvious sign of a 'point of impact' type of cause for the crack, they wouldn't normally dismiss the problem out of hand.

That is a very odd looking crack though. Not what might normally be expected in something like a stress fracture. On the other hand, it doesn't look like typical impact damage either.

table681

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
I haven't seen any other reports of a cracked screen in these models, but if you have and can find them, print them out and take your MBA and the printed reports to your nearest Apple Store. That would give you the best chance of them agreeing to it being a defect and covering repair/replacement.

Apple have typically been pretty good at customer support, so unless there's any obvious sign of a 'point of impact' type of cause for the crack, they wouldn't normally dismiss the problem out of hand.

That is a very odd looking crack though. Not what might normally be expected in something like a stress fracture. On the other hand, it doesn't look like typical impact damage either.
I'll agree with this, there's no damage or any signs of impact on the lid of the MacBook either. I might understand if I had previously dropped it and it took a while to break (micro break etc). However, it's quite weird for the screen to be internally cracked without any external damage to the lid.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There is no "internal crack." The cover glass is laminated to the LCD. You may not feel it, but it's on the surface covered by a thin plastic film.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Worth pursuing a CL claim - you don’t swing the bat, you don’t hit no homers. But I do expect it’ll ultimately be on you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.