Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Just picked up a "new" Apple Certified 14" Refurb M1 Pro. It's basically flawless except for one thing I noticed on the left side of the screen. Do any of you experts know if this is the beginning of screen delamination or the screen "protector" (I believe it's the anti-glare coating) coming off? I did the best I could getting a picture of it but it's slightly out of focus. (ignore the dust!)
IMG_9591.jpg

I've got 2 weeks to return it. I can also add Apple Care+ and if a problem can always go through the hassle of getting it fixed. It's actually not so easy to find Apple refurb'd 14" M1 Pros with the 10 core CPU and 1tb drive so I'd hate to return it and go hunting again.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_9591.jpg
    IMG_9591.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 27

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Looks like whoever glued the display assembly together was a little sloppy with the glue/sealant.
Doesn't look like screen delamination - more like some excess glue on the screen edge.
And then some poor QC when it was boxed up to ship out.
I doubt it will get worse over time--but you will always "see" it.
If you think that will continue to bother you, return it.

Reactions: 3SQ Machine

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Looks like whoever glued the display assembly together was a little sloppy with the glue/sealant.
Doesn't look like screen delamination - more like some excess glue on the screen edge.
And then some poor QC when it was boxed up to ship out.
Thanks -- I think I'll probably run with it because the units are hard to get and it was a good price from Micro Center. I wonder if there is some way to remove any excess? What's weird is that it is almost like the edge is jagged a little.

Anyway, it was definitely poor QC. Battery was dead (!) and the wax paper screen protector was stuck on the top, I had to slowly peel it off and then carefully remove little wax paper pieces that came off after removal--like it was "glued" almost.

Otherwise, battery health 100% and so far everything checks out. I can definitely "unsee" this problem as opposed to a scratch or other issue as long as it doesn't get worse. I've actually had "new" macbooks with more imperfections than this refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.