Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
My mac is automatically gradually dimming my displays before going to screensaver after 10 minutes of inactivity as set. Fullscreen video overrides this. But if I have a window up, and don't move my mouse and switch between apps, the screen starts dimming within a couple of minutes. I want to turn this off, if I can - it's happening now as I type, and I have to shake my mouse to get normal brightness back.

I've had this for years, over OS versions and mac mini models. I've searched, and all I get is laptop/battery/settings stuff that don't apply to my mini and it's settings.

Please tell me there is a terminal command to make this go away!

One thing I haven't tried, that I just thought of; I'll simply turn off the screensaver!
If it works, I'll find a different way to "save screen"… and report back.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
No. Didn't help. Screen starts dimming after a minute of inactivity or fullscreen video.
(Sorry, I meant; starts dimming after a few minutes without any activity or fullscreen video running.)

Last edited:

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I finally found that it had nothing to do with mac or mac settings at all, it was my LG TV doing the auto dimming. Also, I guess, on the previous TV that it replaced.

I found on the web, a description of settings in the LG's 'service menu' that isn't accessible on its regular settings menu, that causes the dimming:

• First, verify the LG Connect Apps feature is ON on your TV. Depending on the webOS version, you should find it in your TV’s Network Settings.
• Launch the built-in Web Browser app from your TV’s Home menu or launcher bar.
• Next, type http://webosapp.club/instart in the top search bar and hit Enter.
• A pop-up dialogue box should appear on your screen. Click Yes to accept the connection from the browser.
• Upon the password prompt, type 0413 to continue. Immediately, you’ll have access to your TV’s hidden Service Menu.
• To modify the auto-dimming settings, navigate to the “ OLED” menu and disable the following options: “TPC Enable” and “GSR Enable”.
• We strongly advise you NOT to click anywhere except the OLED menu.
• Finally, press the Back remote button to exit that section and reboot your LG TV for the changes to take effect.

This came with a stern warning that you risk causing permanent damage if you don't know what your doing when going into the service menu.

Anyway, my LG OLED 55" TV now behaves like a proper monitor should.
And boy, does it look good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.