Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Out of nowhere, the screen on my iPhone 13 Pro started flashing black and a glitchy yellow. I’ve hard restarted and even completely reset my iPhone, and it seems when the screen is powered, it goes into a glitch loop. I don't see the apple logo on the screen and there is no log in prompt.

I’ve connected my iPhone to my MacBook, viewed my iPhone's screen through QuickTime, and confirmed that the software loads up fine, and even when I tap on the screen, it registers, taps and touches.

I haven’t found anything on YouTube or through several google searches that discuss constant flashing. I think that a screen replacement is needed, but I don’t know enough to say that’s the issue, plus that's an expensive mistake. It does remind me of when my tv was going out.

Any advice?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Strange issue. Could be a loose connection on your OLED panel. If that’s the problem it’ll not be an expensive fix. I don’t think there is any way to truly diagnose the problem without first opening up the phone.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Strange issue. Could be a loose connection on your OLED panel. If that’s the problem it’ll not be an expensive fix. I don’t think there is any way to truly diagnose the problem without first opening up the phone.
OK>>>>update.

So some context, I purchased my iPhone 13 pro secondhand, and after bringing it to the genius bar, I was told that the screen was previously replaced and they couldn't even touch it since it has non apple approved parts.

I thought the $279 apple charge was high, but the 3rd party route was even higher.

Maybe the screen needed to be replaced, and maybe it didn't, but the total cost for replacement was about $380! It was way more than I was planning on spending on anything phone-related, but it was the lowest-cost option to get anything similar to the iPhone 13 pro.

The MAIN issue I still have is that my iPhone 13 pro is the equivalent of a car with a salvage title.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
OK>>>>update.

So some context, I purchased my iPhone 13 pro secondhand, and after bringing it to the genius bar, I was told that the screen was previously replaced and they couldn't even touch it since it has non apple approved parts.

I thought the $279 apple charge was high, but the 3rd party route was even higher.

Maybe the screen needed to be replaced, and maybe it didn't, but the total cost for replacement was about $380! It was way more than I was planning on spending on anything phone-related, but it was the lowest-cost option to get anything similar to the iPhone 13 pro.

The MAIN issue I still have is that my iPhone 13 pro is the equivalent of a car with a salvage title.

Tough position to be in. You should go to a third party repair shop to at least get a diagnoses on your issue if Apple aren’t willing to touch it. You can then decide whether or not the phone is worth fixing. This is one of the reasons I have never bought a second hand phone.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Tough position to be in. You should go to a third party repair shop to at least get a diagnoses on your issue if Apple aren’t willing to touch it. You can then decide whether or not the phone is worth fixing. This is one of the reasons I have never bought a second hand phone.
Tbh out of all the iPhones I’ve owned maybe 1 or 2 were brand new iPhones and I’ve owned pretty much every iPhone since the 1.

This is maybe the first time I’ve had to actually pay for a repair and I think out of all iPhones this model is the most costly but I’m assuming the iPhone 14 is right up there.

I guess I’ve been lucky, never had phone insurance either.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Tbh out of all the iPhones I’ve owned maybe 1 or 2 were brand new iPhones and I’ve owned pretty much every iPhone since the 1.

This is maybe the first time I’ve had to actually pay for a repair and I think out of all iPhones this model is the most costly but I’m assuming the iPhone 14 is right up there.

I guess I’ve been lucky, never had phone insurance either.
I think all the models are extremely costly to repair and have been that way since at least the 12. I have heard that you have to programme parts otherwise the phone will reject them which is causing friction with right to repair groups. If your seller never mentioned that your phone did not have an OEM screen it’s a really snide move on his part.

I don’t use insurance either, it’s a waste of money. I immediately place my phones in a case and use a screen protector. I picked up a new regular 13 yesterday and placed it within a very protective 2 piece case which should keep it pristine throughout its life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.