Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soccermac09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Purchased my iPad Pro 2021 in July, the 12.9" version with the stunning XDR screen. Really like this device. But recently while watching Apple TV+ videos (The Morning Show to be exact) I noticed that whenever the screen transitions are more intense, a green light appears on the screen. The problem is repeated with the "Apple Store" app, but not occasionally but every time.

Just like in the picture, which is a fleeting frame I took from a video I shot, this green glow flashed first on the screen where there was content refreshing.

IMG_4693.PNG

I think it's a quality issue. But considering that the previous "Blooming" problem on XDR screens turned out to be a common problem with MiniLED screens, I'm beginning to wonder if this is one of the common problems?

Any of you who have the 12.9" version of the iPad Pro 2021, as I do, could you please test your iPads and see if this problem occurs as well?

[The easiest way to find out about this problem is to point your phone camera at the iPad screen and make sure you record the entire process, then open the Apple Store app in dark mode and play it frame by frame to confirm if there is any flickering sign.]

Thank you guys!

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Kingbingo

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
I can confirm this also happens on my iPad, although in my case the effect is not noticeable at brightnesses of 50% or lower.

I purchased mine at the end of August.

playtillyadrop

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
This is a problem. I got my ipad exchanged. In my case the Screen started to flicker, and would completely blank out. I also noticed that shaking the ipad would cause the flickering, at first it looked like a local dimming problem where the screen wouldnt adapt to something new on the screen but stay stuck to the local dimming of the homescreen and wallpaper. I would definitely get yours exchanged.

GBNova

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
What do I have to do in the apple store app to test for this? I'm in the app and don't see any green flickers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.