Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Regina del Mare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2021
Hi everyone!
Two days ago I accidentally dropped my iPhone 8. The height was less than 1 meter. The phone landed on the back. It didn’t suffer any external damage, nothing is broken. It was in a thin silicone case, and also had a screen protector.
However, yesterday I noticed my phone’s screen started to freeze. It froze a few times, mostly when opening a couple of apps, and once in Safari. Please note that each time I was able to exit the app by simply pressing the home button and everything would work again, so it’s not like I needed to perform hard reset or anything like that. But stuff like these never happened before!

My question is - is it really possible that a fall from less than 1 meter could have caused some internal damage? I even chatted with Apple Support and they ran remote diagnostics, and the results were all good. The screen didn’t freeze today, which is a good sign, I suppose!

Regina del Mare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2021
With some falls, it is possible that a cable or other piece of hardware can become partially dislodged from its socket or bracket. The fact that it didn't happen today is a good sign. If it should start happening again, I would contact Apple so that they can do more testing.
Thanks for your help! I just wanted to say - after that isolated case of screen “freezing”, it never happened again. So it was probably unrelated to the fall, don’t you think so? Because when the freezing happened, my battery was 100% charged with a fast charger, which heats the battery… Plus, it was a hot night here where I live. So the phone screen probably went unresponsive because of that, right?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks for your help! I just wanted to say - after that isolated case of screen “freezing”, it never happened again. So it was probably unrelated to the fall, don’t you think so? Because when the freezing happened, my battery was 100% charged with a fast charger, which heats the battery… Plus, it was a hot night here where I live. So the phone screen probably went unresponsive because of that, right?
Thanks for the update. If the phone got a little too hot, that could explain the temporary freezing. I don't think the freezing was directly related to the fall.

Reactions: Regina del Mare
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.