Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacksquarebishop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Hey, first time posting here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to do it.

https://imgur.com/a/RsXhWJv - This is what's happening.

I have a 2017 MacPro running Mojave 10.14.1. Had to install a partition to test a game - ended up not wanting it, so deleted the thing two days later. When I was adjusting screen/monitor preferences (can't remember if during the Windows installation or on the in-game settings), I noticed after the first reboot that the bottom of the screen was slightly off, but it was just a tiny fraction of it.

I didn't care for it, firstly because I thought it was just a glitch that would go away by itself, and partly because I'm at a foreign place and don't want to live through the ordeal of a non-authorized repair place etc.

But the glitchy/blurry thing has been growing upwards, and it's already taking half of my dock's icons.

I didn't restore the computer to factory settings yet to see if it would work, as I need to backup of a lot of **** before doing it. But I feel it would, since the problem shouldn't be hardware - it began with a change in the computer's graphic/screen settings, so a total reboot should work, right? I don't remember the Mac falling hard or anything, it must have to be related to the partition stuff.

Has anyone out there has experienced something similar? Please help and thank you!

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
It looks like you have a MacBook Pro (Notebook), not a Mac Pro (Desktop). You might get more help in that forum.

The problem looks hardware related, not at all software. As an owner of this generation of MacBook Pro, I know how delicate these things are. I mean dust can destroy the keyboard...Looking at your picture is it possible you accidentally closed the lid with something inside it, or perhaps flexed the screen in a way that would cause this destruction? Unfortunately even a piece or two of paper closed into the MacBook Pro have been known to cause some issues with this generation screen due to how thin it was designed. Your issue doesn't look like this, but just to illustrate the strange hardware issues present in this generation MacBook: https://www.macrumors.com/guide/flexgate-macbook-pro-display-issue/

You honestly should find Apple or an authorized apple repair facility to have this issue properly diagnosed, imho.

Reactions: mikzn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.