Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
Good day,

My new G4 iBook (running 10.3.6) goes into a blank screen of nothingness (no screen saver is launched) after about 10 minutes of being left alone. I hit enter or space bar and it becomes active again.

At first I thought it was a screen saver setting so I changed the setting to "Never" and I still get the same behaviour. Anyone know what this is about? and how I can undo this behaviour?

Thanks. :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Your Energy Saver settings are most likely doing this, not the screen saver.

It is just trying to save energy. Just change them. They are, IMO, set rather well for Battery power but on AC Power they could use some adjusting.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
dscan99 said:
Good day,

My new G4 iBook (running 10.3.6) goes into a blank screen of nothingness (no screen saver is launched) after about 10 minutes of being left alone. I hit enter or space bar and it becomes active again.

At first I thought it was a screen saver setting so I changed the setting to "Never" and I still get the same behaviour. Anyone know what this is about? and how I can undo this behaviour?

Thanks. :)

Call Apple they will assist you..you do have 90 days free phone support use it. :)

I am going to run someone new iBook G4 through the maya testing (that is me) my testing. :)

Thing of what to check when getting a new Apple Product:

Try to read, install and burn a CD and (or) DVD.
Hook up the Ethernet and test it.
Check FW400 or 800 ports (if you do not have a FW 800 device forget it).
Check USB 1.1 and (or) 2.0 ports.
Check LCD screen for white spots and oddities.
Check Keyboard for loose keys or not responding keys.
Check track pad parameters.
Check notebook screen button.
Check Sleep Light.
Check AirPort if you can.
Check fan and HDD odd noise factor.
Check battery.
Check Seems of notebook.
Check System Profile to see what you ordered is all there.
After installing 3rd party ram redo all test, well I like to for my security.

You have 3 months to check all this so take your time. :)

Well that is pretty much it, if anything happens after that its either defective part like a (logic board issues) or within a 2 week period it the problems will arise as with the iMac G5 and other systems.

If all seems fine be Happy you don't have to send it back and wait, since after the 2 week period you have a computer that will last. :)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Mechcozmo said:

It is just trying to save energy. Just change them. They are, IMO, set rather well for Battery power but on AC Power they could use some adjusting.

Good thing is you can customize them to different times for either. Sounds like your computer screen is set to shut down BEFORE the screensaver comes on. (The power thing in system preferences will notify you of this)

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
thanks!

Mechcozmo said:

Turned out to be the Energy saver setting! Thanks a lot! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.